Chapter 22 - Out of My Head

Começar do início

'No silly.' I chuckled.

The dog had her sights on me as well and stuck her nose through the fence.

'Hi sweetie. You're such a pretty girl.' I cooed sliding my finger through the fence to scratch her nose.

She licked my fingers and wagged her tail.

'You can come in and pet her if you want.' Her owner said.

'Thanks' I said, and the dog greeted me enthusiastically.

I bent down and she licked my neck, wagging her tail so hard it made her butt wiggle. She was just like the dog I'd lost years ago. The waves of fur around her neck felt identical to my Moo's, as well as her velvety ears.

'I've never seen her take to anyone so quickly. You must be a real dog lover.' Her owner said.

'Especially a dog like her. I had one once. What's her name?'

'Zarina'

'Oh my, that's a lovely name.' I said and Zarina rolled over.

She let me scratch her belly and her tongue hung out the side of her mouth.

'You're a real princess.' I chuckled even though I was starting to tear up.

Zarina got up and I gave her a big kiss on the head.

'You have fun now big girl.' I said and thanked the lady for letting me play with her.

We continued walking until I couldn't hold back my tears any longer.

'Hey, what's wrong?' Shannon asked pulling me to face him.

'What were the odds that dog's name was Zarina?' I blubbered.

'What do you mean?'

My dog was my oldest son's until he decided she wasn't a good hunting dog. He named her Putzy—which I hated—so I called her Putzarina instead. She loved this park.'

'I understand. You probably saw it as a sign. She did take to you quickly Miss, the lady even said so. Let yourself believe and take comfort in that.' He said, holding me until I composed myself.

We went back to the hotel since I'd had more than enough for one day. I had a fair amount of wine and eventually passed out.

(Shannon's POV)

Missi grabbed her phone and jammed it under her pillow to drown out her alarm. I slid it out from under her pillow and hit the snooze button. She didn't even flinch when it went off again, so I turned it off. I knew it might not be easy getting her awake after last night since she'd consumed quite a bit of wine. I did the morning caffeine run and she was still asleep when I returned.

'Miss I got your tea.' I said brushing her hair away from her face.

'Thanks, but homey doesn't want to play this today.' She groaned.

'Doesn't homey want her new patio?'

'Oh that's right.' She said and sat up smiling. She grabbed her tea and started drinking it down.

'Isn't it hot Miss?'

'The heat gets you awake quicker than the tea. Spill your coffee on your hand once. You'll see.'

'Only you.' I chuckled.

'My uniqueness is unparalleled.'

'Uh huh.'

She threw her nightie over my face on her way to the shower. I just happened to be taking a sip of coffee and it burned my hand when it spilled.

'Ow. Dammit Miss.'