31

Kagome sneezed. She was sitting inside Hiko's small hut, trying to stay warm, with a small blanket over her shoulders. Kenshin and his master were outside. It seems while Kagome was drowning, Kenshin must have done something to impress his master. He was now going to teach him the final move. Kagome sneezed again, and the door opened. She looked up to see Hiko walk in.

"How'd it go?" She asked.

"He's still a stupid apprentice." He told her. "I'm giving him till sunrise to straighten up, or else." He started a small fire in the pit, placed in the middle of the room, to heat up the cold hut. He then took out his Sake. She sighed and stood up. The blanket fell off her shoulders, and unto the floor.

"You look hungry." She stated. Walking over to the shelf, she pulled out a bag. "I'll fix us something to eat." Taking out the food she brought from Totosai's, she started to cook the meal using the small fire. "I was going to save it for later, but it looks like you need something to liven your mood." She told him. "Kenshin has tasted my food, but you have not. Who knows, you might even like it, Mr. Picky." She smirked, and he shouted a small 'Hey,' in objection.

She placed several of the bowls in front of him, before sitting on the other side of the fire. She picked up her own bowl of food, and started to eat. After a few seconds she paused and looked at him. He was just staring at it. She sighed.

"It's not poisoned." She told him. "You watched me fix it." He snorted and reached down, slowly picked up the bowl. Grabbing a small bite with his chopsticks, he lifted the food to his lips. He quickly plopped the amount into his mouth. His eyes widened slightly, before going back to normal.

"It acceptable." He told her. She huffed. Acceptable-- That sounds like someone else she knows. They then continued to eat their food in peace. It was several minutes before she felt cold eyes looking upon her. Was something wrong? "Your movements are quite graceful." He complimented her.

"Thank you." She did not hear many compliments like that, and was glad to receive them. She closed her eyes and sighed while taking another bite of her food, she savored the flavor. A small sound of shaking entered her ears. "I would not put too much spice onto your food. It is bad for your heart." She warned him.

The sound of shaking immediately stopped. After a second a whooshing noise fell to her ears. She reached up and grabbed the object, just as it was about to hit her face. She opened her eyes and blinked at the small bottle. She lowered the spice, and glared at him questionability.

"You're not as weak as you claim to be." He stated. She sighed. It looks like he quickly figured it out. She was not expecting this.

"You can say that." She calmly told him. After spreading some of the spices unto her food, she placed the bottle down on the floor.

"What do you want with my stupid apprentice?" He asked.

"Nothing." She told him, placing another bite of food unto her mouth.

"Then why are you hiding? You must be after him for something. Are you a spy for Shishio?"

"I am not a spy." She plainly told him. "I do not like such cowardly work."

"An assassin then?" She snorted at his words.

"If I wanted him dead, he would be dead." She stated.

"You are quite arrogant for skills you are trying to hide." He told her. She glared at him with icy blue orbs.

"This coming from you? You are just as arrogant." She told him. "You have no right to judge me, or my decisions. I wish to watch him from the shadows. That is all."