28

Kenshin walked into the workshop, prepared for anything, well, almost anything. Seeing Totosai playing chess with his pet ox, was something he wasn't really prepared for. The ox, named Mo-mo, picked up a piece with its elongated tongue, and moved it to the spot it wanted. It mooed in delight, as if laughing. Totosai gasped in disbelief, and if possible, his eyes got even wider from shock. He yelled, in anger, and threw the playing board in the air. The pieces flying all over, before landing harshly on the floor.

"That's 762 to 0! How dare you cheat! Against your own master no less!" He started arguing with the beast, and it mooed back in objection. They headbutted each other, both snarling.

"Excuse me-- " Kenshin tried to get their attention. "Totosai... Sir? Have you finished with my sword yet?" Kenshin asked. The fight immediately stopped and he looked at him confused.

"Who are you?" He asked. Kenshin face-vaulted in disbelief.

"It's me, Kenshin. I was the one who needed a new Reverse-Blade?" Kenshin told him.

"Hmm." He scratched his chin in thought. Then he snapped his fingers and smiled.

"Ah~ You remember me?" Kenshin asked.

"No. I left the oven on..." He then waddled away, to go turn it off.

Kenshin couldn't believe his ears. He stood there, waterfall tears cascading from his huge, baby-like eyes in sadness. The ox mooed, and licked his cheeks, to try and cheer him up. Totosai emerged moments later, he laughed at the scene. Kenshin sighed.

"Of course I haven't forgotten you boy!" Totosai said. Kenshin cheered up, and smiled in relief. "Here's your sword." He handed Kenshin his blade, with a toothy grin on his face.

Kenshin smiled back, and pulled the blade out of its sheath. He was stunned. The craftsmanship, even just by looking, was done to perfection. The blade practically sung to him in joy. The sword was pulsing with his heart. It beat in tune with Kenshin's own emotions, and thoughts. It was like nothing he has ever seen before. It was, as if they were meant to be as one. Sword and wielder.

"T-thank you so much. Totosai." Kenshin placed the sword at his hip and bowed very deeply, showing his appreciation. The old man laughed.

"Don't thank me just yet young man. You still need a place to stay for the night, correct? You can stay here. You will need the rest if you are going to your master's place tomorrow." Kenshin shot up from his bow, and looked at him. How did he--? "The sword told me." He answered him, as if reading his thoughts. "It knows what you know. It feels what you feel." He laughed once again, at Kenshin's confused look. "Well, if you want to find your old master. I would ask Lady Kagome, if I were you." The old man gave him some advice. Why would she know where his master is? "You would be surprised at what kind of friends that woman has." He laughed to himself as he walked away, and up the stairs, to his room, no doubt.

Kenshin just stood there, dazed. What just happened? Did that old man just make a conversation, without him having to speak one sentence? Was it because of the sword? He looked down at his new blade, resting at his hip. But swords can't talk... right? That's just unheard of. But then how did he know what he was saying? Maybe they can? He shook his head-- Nah, it can't be.

Kenshin was walking down the street, in thought. He was headed to the river side where he left Kagome. It was now night time, and he had to wonder about what the old man said. Should he really ask Kagome about his Master's whereabouts? How does she know where he is? Totosai said she has friends, but he thought Totosai was the only one left? Maybe she has another? Kenshin sighed. He really didn't know. He would have to ask her himself; That he will.