Chapter 29: Miss Me?

-Willow-

My decision to skip lunch and go to the library was made up in five seconds. My decision to go to the library was made up in two seconds.  I’ve been slacking with my homework and my teachers aren’t taking it very well.  Using my mom’s accident isn’t an excuse and that happened well over two weeks ago.  She’s better and I should be, too.  I shouldn’t even compare myself to what happened to my mother. 

                I found an empty table in the middle of the library and sat my bag down.  I walked over to one of the shelves and scanned through the fiction titles.  I walked my fingers across the binds, tilting my head slightly to read the book titles.  Nothing really jumped out.  I had to pick a book for my book report for English.  I wanted to pick something I haven’t read, but my mind could only focus on one thing.  And that was rare these days.

                I stopped walking and decided this would be the shelf I would pick the book from.  I closed my eyes and plucked a random book from the shelf.  I opened my eyes, peering down at The Perks of Being a Wallflower.  Very promising, but I’ve read it at least five times.  But my teacher doesn’t know that.  “I figured I would find you here.”  The voice came up beside me.  I jumped, dropping the book and clutching my chest.

Scott leaned down and retrieved the book from the ground and handed it to me.  I snatched it from him and tried maintaining my breathing.  “What do you want?”

                “Since you’re so good at helping me with my essays, I figured one more won’t hurt?”

I pushed passed him, but I could feel him on my trail.  “You figured wrong.”  I pulled my chair out and sat down. 

Scott was never one to take no for an answer.  “Why not?”  He took the seat across from me.

                “Because I have my own work to worry about.  I can’t help you, I’m sorry.”  I peeked up from the pages of the book and into Scott’s taunting eyes.

                “Haven’t you read that before?” He asked, pointing.

                “How would you know?”

The way he smiled sent a chill up my spine.  And not a good one.  “I saw you, sitting at this very table, reading that book.  It was right before school ended.”

I snorted and sat the book down, “You actually stepped foot in this library before we dated?”

                “It was the only time Ash wasn’t around.”

                “You never talked to me, Scott.”  My voice was strong, but I felt my insides shaking.

                “I wanted to.”

Before I knew what I was doing, I was walking out of the library.

                I shot a look over my shoulder to make sure Scott wasn’t following, only to turn around and bump into someone’s chest. “Whoa, slow down.”

I looked up, catching Noah’s eyes.  “Is everything okay?”

I nodded quickly and tucked a loose strand of hair behind my ear.  “Uh, yeah.  Want to get out of here?”

The crook of his eyebrow and the slight tilt of my head told me he was confused, “I don’t think—”

                “Don’t think for five seconds, please.” I begged.  “I just don’t want to be here.”