2: BRING ME TO LIFE

"Wake me up inside. Call my name and save me from the dark . . .

Save me from the nothing I've become." ~Evanescence

~Victorique~

I met up with my dearest best friend the next day in a coffee shop named Twin Hearts. I frowned at the sight of her. Yes, Jade had this tendency to be aloof but she never looked so pale, thin and sad just as she looked today. Her shoulder-length blonde hair looked dry and her once lively brown eyes looked empty. She came in the coffee shop wearing a red unbuttoned plaid shirt over a black shirt and black tights matched with black boots. And even though she was smiling at me now, I could feel the sorrow she was trying very hard to hide. I waved to her as another Michael Jackson song played at the background.

You are not alone. I am here with you.

"Ms. Jade Hargreaves, a seat is reserved for you over here," I gestured to her to take the seat in front of me.

I missed talking to a person like how I talked to my best friend. Maybe because we had conversations others did not understand. Back in high school, we often chatted at every chance we got that our teachers, my parents, her stepfather and half brothers would ask us if we didn't run out of things to talk about. Did I mention her family? Oh, yes. Her father died as a brave soldier even before she was born.

She grew up with her housekeeper though because her mother and stepfather were very busy with her two half brothers that she didn't actually got so close with. As far as I was concerned, I never heard her complained about her family. She even said once, "How will I miss people I didn't even have the chance to know?" Since then, I dropped that discussion.

Even though we communicated through Facebook and Skype, we hadn't seen each other in person for ages so a lot of catching up happened before I got to my main agenda also known as Project Save Jade. It was just an impression at the moment I saw her yesterday but when I heard the whole story about this Dustin guy, I was alarmed. Don't get me wrong. I didn't think Jade went nuts. I just felt an urge to pull her out of her past heartbreak—especially when I saw that blank sheet she showed me last night.

The paper didn't contain even the slightest ink. What scribbles was she talking about? As much as I would love to believe her story, I couldn't make myself too. It didn't make sense. I couldn't even remember a guy named Dustin in our high school days. Or maybe I was just being forgetful nowadays? Was this the effect of getting too much absorbed living this life? Was I losing my fun side?

"Well, I'm not saying I don't believe your story about Dustin. But, to be honest, I think he's not coming back," I said straightforwardly, taking a sip of my hazelnut cappuccino.

She didn't reply. Instead, she sipped her coffee too. There, I thought that's getting to her.

"You said it yourself. Not even a single call, text message, or any communication in five years, right?" I continued.

"Because he's in another world . . ." her voice trialed off as if unsure of her statement.

"See? How the hell could he even return?"

"I believe he can do it. I know he can," she said now sounding a little steadier.

"How did you know?"

"Because I love him, that's how," she answered like this was the most obvious answer there was.

I made face at that. I still wanted to try but I didn't want to sound like the villain bitch that wanted her best friend and her best friend's lover to break up. I just wanted to wake her up. Her talents and skills were being wasted here. I know she could do better.