Chapter Nine - Not Talking / Lanna

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Hello to all of you reading this! First: I want to thank you for taking the time to read it. It means a lot that someone believes my writing to be worth reading. Second: I want to ask if my chapters are too short. I'm aware that they're all only one or two pages long. Is that long enough, or should I add more? Third: I want to thank everyone for their votes and comments. There's really not much more I can add to that statement. Fourth: I will be willing to add special characters for anyone who would like me too, just message me with the character's name, house, ect. NOT COMMENT PLEASE, I would like it to be a surprise for others. I can't have anyone in a relationship with Lily for too long, sorry, but them's the breaks. Please feel free to vote and comment or message me with any problems in this story. Thanks again!

  Lily faked it.

  "Great idea, Draco...  He won't even suspect..."

  "Exactly! I've already tipped Filch off. By tomorrow morning, both Potter and Weasley will be on the train to London."

  She smiled, she had to act happy about this. "Brilliant!"

  "Yeah.. You should go, wouldn't be good for us to get caught..."

  "Right." She broke into Harry's mind as she hurried off.

  Don't do it.

  Don't do... what? Lily, are you okay?

  NO I'm not okay... You CAN'T go to the trophy room tonight.

  Lils, this is MALFOY we're talking about. I have to do this.

  NO, Harry... It's a trap, he won't be there.

  There was a pause. She could hear Harry considering her proclamation.

  No Lils... I need do this... I'm sorry, but - 

  She left before he finished. Only trying to help. Wouldn't be her fault if he did get expelled... A tear slipped down her cheek. Harry was like a brother to her.

  She ran into Lanna Lestrange, a Slytherin first year that didn't seem to fit in with the others.

  "Hullo, Lanna."

  "Oh, hullo Lily." They were on friendly terms, though they didn't speak much. There was a lot to be found in a person's expression and Lily could see that she was unhappy. Lily also knew, from talking to Draco, that she was... different from other Slytherins.

  "What's wrong, Lanna?"

  A tear slipped from under the Slytherin's heavily lidded eye and onto her robes. "I'm okay, really Lily."

  "Want to talk about it?"

  "No." She sniffed.

  "Okay..." Lily wanted to talk to her, to see why she was crying, but Lanna looked as if she needed some time alone.

  "Lily? Can... can we talk... later?"

  "Sure. Just... Just tell me when, okay?"

  "Yeah... yeah. See you later, Lily."

  "See you."

  Lily spent the night in Harry's mind, and a very unrested night it was. Though she saw what happened and saw him at breakfast the next morning, she said nothing to him. He approached her after said meal, hoping to make amends, but she ran before he opened his mouth. She wasn't going to speak to him, not now.

  "Lily?"

  She looked up from her book. "Hullo Lanna."

  "Can we talk now?"

  "Sure."

  Lanna's dark eyes told stories, storied that, no doubt, she didn't want told.

  "I guess you know my parents are in Azkaban, don't you?"

  Lily simply nodded. It was a well-known fact that the Lestranges had been Death Eaters.

  "I got a letter from Mum yesterday..."

  "What did she say?"

  "She's glad I got into Slytherin, she's so proud of me... She says she knows I'll do great things..."

  "What's the matter, though?"

  Lanna sniffed. "I don't want to disappoint her, but..." She sniffed again. "I really don't want to be like her and Dad... They're really strong and everything, but they followed You-Know-Who, and..."

  Lily looked thoughtful. "If you don't mind my asking, where do you live?"

  "With Aunt Narcissa and Uncle Lucius. They don't know how I feel..."

  "I understand."

  "They think I'm just like them... A pureblood maniac, among other things..."

  Lily frowned as she noticed Harry trying to get her attention.

  "Lanna, why don't we get together sometime?" She said loudly, then smiled, dropping her voice to a whisper. "I know how you feel, I've been getting a taste of that around Draco."

  "Yeah... hey, I've got to go. That's Draco..." Lanna ran off, then Lily did the same, but she did it to avoid Harry rather than Draco.

  Not talking to Harry wouldn't be easy.