t h i r t y - t w o

Magenta

Prom banners decorate the hallways and posters are stuck on basically every classroom door.

"I always forget how much the school gets into prom." Jackie laughs from beside from.

"Yeah, I guess I never paid too much attention to it." I shrug.

We walk into the library greeting Miss Reed and look around for a spare table with the comfortable seats. We find a table on the second floor and almost fun up the flight of stairs before collapsing on either side of the table.

"Okay so what were we doing again?"

"Mr Tyrell wants us to create the slideshow for prom this year and organise the ballots for prom kid and queen."

"Right..." She trails off. "And how did we get roped into this again?"

"He promised that we could have a free period the next class we have with him because we've basically finished all of our work for the topic we're on." I try to convince her.

"Okay that seems like a valid enough reason to do it."

"Good, because I was not going to do it all alone." I lay down on the comfy pound chairs.

"So do we have the nominees for king and queen?" She asks.

"Uh yeah he said he'd email them to you." I watch through the table as Jackie pulls out her phone and probably opens her school emails.

"Oooh this is a good list, this will bring good quality content for prom." She laughs.

"What?" Jackie pushes her phone into my hand and I groan at the list.

Prom Queen nominees:
Magenta Hale
Abigail Rose
Chrissie Brett
Felicity Williams

"Well I'm dead. Who knows what that girl will do to win. I may as well just resign." I flop

"Can you even 'resign' from being a prom queen nominee?"

"I have no idea. If you can't, I'll make it possible."

"Yeah okay have fun with that. But for now, aren't you supposed to have rehearsal with Brad and Psycho?"

"Shoot, I do. I'm really sorry can you handle this for now?" I quickly pick up my bag that I had discarded lazily on the floor and stand up.

"It's not problem, go." She shoos me away and I shoot her a grateful smile before running out of the library - which gains me a disappointed shake of head from the librarian.

I weave my way through the crowd of prom-excited students as I make my way to the rehearsal room. I push the door open and see Abigail and Brad sitting on two stools. Brad has a guitar on his lap and Abigail's running her long nails up his arm.

I cough slight annoyed. "Sorry I'm late."

Brad's head whips around to look at me and I notice the grateful look in his eyes at me arriving. I try not to laugh as Abigail removes her wandering hands and gives me a bored look.

"No problem, we were just reminiscing about our past." Abigail said emphasise the 'our'.

"Cool."

"Okay, why don't we start practising now." Brad handed me a spare microphone stand and I take it, sending him a smile.

I nod at Abigail and she starts the song.

"And you got me like oh
What you want from me?"

"What you want from me?" I repeat.