t w e n t y - e i g h t

Magenta

Waking up, I wasn't sure if the weather was supposed to be a sign of how the day was going to be.

The sky was full of grey clouds and rain poured down from the sky, covering my window with an endless tread of raindrops.

Soon after, Dad had woken me telling me he cooked pancakes. I hadn't felt so happy in a morning for a while. He had been so busy with Andrea but now that Dad had talked to her, and left her as a result of their heated conversation, he was really here for me.

"These are amazing". I try to say through a mouth full of food.

"I'm glad." He says as he sips coffee and reads his newspaper. "You should get ready though, don't want you to be late for school."

I nod and finish up the pancake in my plate before racing upstairs to get ready. I change out of my pyjamas into a comfy black sweater and denim skirt. Deciding not to brave the cold, I pull on a pair of stocking and then slide on my warm boots.

After neatly doing my hair in a low, loose bun and grabbing what I need for class, I bound downstairs to find some food for school.

"Alright I'm off." I kiss my dad's cheek.

"Have a good day." He says, throwing an apple that I catch.

I run out the front door taking the umbrella from beside the front door and glancing at the clock as I leave seeing I have almost enough time to get to school by walking. My usual walking speed is slightly increased and I try to keep it constant so as to not be late. Having science first means that if I'm even two minutes late, my teacher will report me as truanting. My umbrella blocks most of the rain from hitting me but every now and then the wind will blow it to the side and allow a surge of rain to wet me and my clothes.

Suddenly, a strong wind pushes me to the side and I stumble, almost tripping over a crack in the side walk. My umbrella flips inside it and I'm instantly almost soaking wet. I groan trying to fix my umbrella but with no success I give up and start to run.

Beep

I turn to my right to see a familiar black BMW pulling over. "Hop in."

Unlike last night, I jump in with no hesitation. Connor throws inside out umbrella over the back of the seats into the boot and I sight feeling the warmth of the car.

"Thank you so much, and sorry about getting your car wet." I wince as I see the water dripping out of my hair.

"Don't worry about it." Tristan says.

When I look up, I'm surprised to see Tristan in the passenger seat and Brad driving.

"Wait you can drive Brad? I thought you failed your driving yet."

"I took it again and passed so Tris is letting me drive to school." He smiles earning a scoff from the taller boy.

"Actually, your mum called mine practically pleading for me to let you drive to build your confidence."

"Yeah whatever." I can practically hear Brad's eye roll and stifle a laugh.

We pull up to school and Brad takes my hand. I hesitate before wrapping my hand around his with a smile. The bell had just rung so not many people were in the hall but some were and they gave us curious looks.

Sometimes I forget that these boys are literally the kings of the school. They all seem like your average goofy teenagers, not at all the boys who everyone looks up to; wanting to either be them or be with them.