06. THE FIRST DAY OF RESEARCH

chapter six; the first day of research

"TEMPEST THATCHER!" THE LOUD, BOOMING VOICE OF RUBEUS HAGRID CAUGHT TEMPEST'S ATTENTION AS SHE MARCHED THROUGH THE GROUNDS OF HOGWARTS. It was early in the morning so there was a chill in the air, but it didn't bother either adult as they met in the middle of the path winding towards the Quidditch field. Hagrid was still a humongous brute of a man, dressed in rags big enough to fit his half-giant body. "Don' you look all grown up?"

"Hagrid," Tempest grinned, rushing towards him and embracing him tightly, only reaching his stomach. It was wonderful to see him again, he seemed to be the one part of Hogwarts that would never change. Sure, his hair was starting to grey a little and he slumped a bit when he walked, but he was still the same Gamekeeper she knew. "Oh, how I've missed you!"

"You're jus' sayin' that to me feel better," Hagrid chuckled loudly, a wide smile on his face. "What brings you t' Hogwarts?"

Tempest's face fell slightly as she pulled away, adjusting the satchel around her waist. She knew she'd be receiving that question a lot, but it would take more than a few days to become accustomed to constantly repeating the name of her former flame. Clearing her throat, she tried to revive her smile. "Well, I'm here to help find, uh, Sirius Black."

Hagrid stopped for a second, before sighing and resting his hand on Tempest's shoulder. For such a big man, he seemed to have ten times more emotion than any regular being, and that was one of the things Tempest liked about him. He was in no way, shape or form a surface level person, and gave no warning when he was about to start blubbering. Luckily, this wasn't one of those times, though his eyes were a little watery. "I see. An' what does Dumbledore think about this?"

Tempest shrugged, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear. Her eyes were droopy from lack of sleep, but she was clearly intrigued to see what the day had to offer. "I'm not completely sure just yet. Remus isn't overly keen on me galavanting the grounds without protection while he teaches his classes."

"Understandably so," Hagrid raised one of his bushy eyebrows, and Tempest smiled lopsidedly, averting her eyes to the ground. "That man ain't got many friends, I doubt he'd want to lose you."

"He's not going to lose me," Tempest muttered, rocking back and forth on her heels. She hated how protective everyone seemed to be over her suddenly. She knew why, but she was still an adult, one who had survived the first Wizarding War. She was still part of the original Order of the Phoenix, and would return to them in a heartbeat. She could have been an auror if she wanted to, but after what happened to James and Lily, she knew her future lay in watching over their son. "I can take care of myself."

"Alright, tough one," Hagrid scoffed, and Tempest glanced up to see him smiling slightly. No matter how long they had been apart, he was always the one who seemed to have the most faith in her. The half-giant sighed, his eyes trailing up to the castle. "I would suggest you tag along with my class today, but I'm off to London for a hearing."