19. SLUGHORN'S CHRISTMAS PARTY

chapter nineteen; slughorn's christmas party

TEMPEST WISHED SHE REMEMBERED WHAT FEELING BEAUTIFUL WAS LIKE. Call her self-centred, but she missed having a face free of scarring. She ignored it best she could when surrounded by others (that being the Marauders, Remus in particular), but when alone or in the company of one of the girls, she could complain as much as she liked and knew they wouldn't mind.

"You look absolutely gorgeous!" Marlene cried, rushing forward in her striped pyjama pants and sighing happily. She placed her hot chocolate down on her bedside table, before clambering over and spinning her friend around. Tempest reddened a little, looking down at her feet. She hated dresses, especially this one. Tanusha had sent it over upon hearing the news that her sister were to attend Slughorn's Christmas party. It was a significant event in the Hogwarts social calendar, hence why the older Thatcher-Grover wanted to uphold the family reputation. "Tanusha knows what she's doing."

"She always does," Tempest smiled slightly, looking down at the beautiful silk and tulle of the deep crimson garment. Correct, it truly was a lovely dress, she just hated how awkward she felt in it. Also, she hated wearing make-up, yet Lily had insisted. The red irritation of her scar had calmed over the last few weeks, and it was but a large, pinkish line. Lily's powder had made it blend in a little more, which was nice enough. Tempest still noticed it, though.

"I still can't believe you're going with Sirius," Marlene gushed, as if her heart was swelling up. "It's taken you both long enough."

"We aren't together, Marl," Tempest shook her head, rolling her eyes a little, though she couldn't stop the tiniest of smiles appearing on her lips. "We aren't...compatible."

"Shut up," Marlene scoffed, amusement lacing her tone as she pushed Tempest's shoulder so that she moved closer to the dorm door. "You two have gotten so close over the last couple of years, and regardless of whether or not you'll get together, you make adorable friends."

Tempest didn't respond, she instead twisted the doorknob and began to exit the dormitory with her friend on her tail. The raven-haired teenager reached for the hand of Marlene, who gripped it firmly, understanding the unease.

"Just wait till they see you," Marlene assured her as they walked down the spiralling stairs towards the common room, where some of the other attendees were waiting for her.

The girls turned the corner, and Tempest quickly met the eyes of the handsome brunet boy standing beside James in a well-fitted suit. Sirius' jaw slacked a little upon the sight of the insecure yet enchanting girl drawing closer to him. It appeared that for once in both their lives, they had been set on edge by a person that didn't actually mean them any harm.

"You look amazing, Tempest," Sirius reached out to squeeze her arm, to which she flushed a little. His lips seemed to be stuck in a permanent smile, one that wasn't sympathetic, suggestive of demeaning; it was one that was full of admiration and respect.