21. THE SUMMER OF 1977

chapter twenty-one; the summer of 1977

"AH, YOU MUST BE PETUNIA!" TEMPEST BEAMED UPON ENTERING THE EVANS' HOUSEHOLD. The tanned brunette couldn't contain her excitement, she had been looking forward to meeting Lily's older sister for years, and now that it was finally happening, she felt as if she were about to explode. Petunia Evans had been described by Lily as 'difficult but with good intention', which Tempest knew meant 'absolute twat with an occasional good moment'. This only made her eagerness grow. 

Petunia was a tall, gangly young woman with wispy dark locks, but she was quite pretty, Tempest couldn't deny. Compared to her own small but sturdy build, the Thatcher girl didn't feel any sense of intimidation in the way the eighteen year-old glared down at her, only a broader sense of joy. She wasn't one who enjoyed pissing people off, but sometimes it brought her immense happiness to see bad people squirm every so often. 

"Petunia, say hello to Lily's friend Tempest," Mr Evans called from the living room, where he was relaxing after picking the girls up from the Hogwarts Express. He was kind and had the same fiery red hair as his daughter, while his wife had Petunia's chocolate curls. 

"Hello," Petunia muttered, her nose upturned ever so slightly at Tempest's appearance. The short-haired teenager had a pair of navy corduroy dungarees and a white long-sleeved turtleneck adorning her body, not really one to feel the summer heat like the rest of the country. Besides, she had just returned from Scotland, where it was cold every damn day of the year. 

"Nice to meet you!" Tempest grinned, before reaching into the pockets of her pants and pulling out a paper bag. "I brought you some sweets from Hogsmeade that I thought you'd like...call it a peace offering."

"I don't want anything from your kind," Petunia grumbled, trying to push past the girl. Lily sighed softly, but Tempest wasn't phased in the slightest. 

"Are you sure?" She inquired, opening the bag to show the Evans girl the contents. "There's some Fizzing Whizzbees, some Jelly Slugs and Cauldron Cakes. Lily and I went to Honeydukes together and picked some out for you. I was hoping we'd start on a positive note considering I'm here for a month."

Petunia was silent for a moment, eyeing Tempest cautiously, before huffing and taking the bag. "Fine."

With that, the tall girl stormed out of the kitchen, leaving a joyful Tempest and an embarrassed Lily. The brunette spun around, her lips spread apart in an ecstatic expression. "Well, that went quite well, don't you think?"

★☆

It felt like forever since Tempest had seen her non-magical peers. They hadn't changed a bit; it was only Michael's height that kept shifting. He used to be short and stout, but now his joking smile properly fit his face and his arms were muscular and strong.  Bhavna was a slim, medium height girl who complained about everything; that was still the same.