Bad News

“Dream as if you will live forever, live as if you will die today.” – James Dean

Now that more people knew that Brooklyn had joined the strike they were getting more and more eager. Afterall, Brooklyn had power and they were known for their dedication and perseverance in any event that they chose to join.

The Brooklynders were very excited because they had been getting bored doing nothing. Even though they weren’t doing much more, they felt like they had a purpose.

Spot was getting worried. He felt that maybe Brooklyn was getting a bit eventful, what with the strike, and the attacks and Yella quitting the Newsies, not to mention Spots mind was continuously on Freddie.

“I saw you talking to her.” Wild had said to him raising his eyebrows.

“Yes, well, most people did. I did talk to her out in public.” Spot said with a slightly haughty tone not bothering to ask who he saw him talking to.

“Maybe, but I am the only one that knows how you feel about her. Well, me and Jack.”

“Do not say ‘feel’, you make me sound like a lovesick schoolgirl.” Spot said, his haughty manner disappearing “And you reckon Jack knows.”

“Mate, you are a lovesick boy, not schoolgirl. Doubting your masculinity, are you?” Wild said grinning. Spot just gave him a look that would have made the bravest man run for the hills, but Wild didn’t seem to mind. He seemed oblivious to Spot and his hard-hitting ways.

“I would watch out for Jack, though. He seemed irate about the whole fact; I sense some protectiveness in him.” Wild gave Spot a look of warning.

“Yes, I know. But I am not scared of Jack, I can handle myself.”

“I never thought otherwise,” Wild said, “But he may be able to influence Freddie’s thoughts about you.”

“Freddie thinks about me?” Spot said slightly surprised.

“I thought you were supposed to be a good judge of character, Spot.” Wild said shaking his head, “You could see she liked you from a mile off, I reckon that is how Jack clocked something. I do not mean to insult Jack, but he seems a bit unaware of the world around him.”

Spot didn’t answer. He was just thinking if Freddie really liked him, his task may not be that hard at all. If she did like him, she was already halfway to being his girl. Jack could always be dealt with in many ways.

“What was your family like?” Wild asked rather abruptly.

Spot stared at him. He had never been asked that question in such an unexpected manner. Spot had been trying not to think about them, and in a way he had succeeded. He had managed to stop comparing his life now to when he had a family. He wanted to forget about them. He had done a good job of that.

“So you had a family?” Wild said. Spot looked at him.

“I thought you may have been an orphan since a baby. But by the look on your face I have brought up some bad memories.”

“I am an orphan.” Spot said.

“But you did know your family. I am guessing they died?” Wild said. If most people said that they would be considered untactful, but somehow Wild seemed innocent and curious.

“I do not know if they died.” Spot said in a tight voice.

“They left you or you left them?” Wild said enquiringly. Spot experienced an uncomfortable sensation in his stomach. All his muscles were tightening.