Finally

“This fellow is wise enough to play the fool, and to do that well craves a kind of wit. He must observe their mood on whom he jest, the quality of person, and the time. Not, like the haggard, check at every feather that comes before his eye. His is a practice as full of labour as a wise man’s art.” – William Shakespear              

"I have always observed  that to suceed in the world one should appear like a fool but be wise." - Charles de Secondat

"He was wise enough to play the fool." - William Shakespeare

Spot had gone and seen Carpy the next morning at Lulus. Carpy was conscious and ready to move, and was not happy that Lulu was making him stay in bed.

“I am fine, let me move.” He had said over and over again. Lulu was surprisingly strict and was afraid to let him go to the toilet incase he climbed out the window. Spot knew that Lulu would not be able to keep Carpy down for long, no matter how much she tried.

Spot decided not to tell Carpy about the rally, because it would probably rile him up. Spot wanted his boys to get enthused about the strike, but not when they had just gained conscience.

When Birdie arrived with some fresh oranges, Spot decided that Carpy was in safe hands and left. He was thinking what to do about Freddie; he was determined to meet her. He had made his mind up, and Jack was not going to stand in his way. The only problem Spot could see was how he was going to meet her. And what was he going to say?

As Spot was walking down the street Wild appeared, he was whistling and looked very nonchalant. Wild fell into step next to Spot and gave him an unconcerned smile. Spot didn’t smile back, but Wild didn’t seem to care.

“So, I’m guessing I was right?” Wild said lazily.

“About what?” Spot said.

“About lady trouble. You are thinking about a twist and twirl, it is written all over your face.”

Spot halted in his tracks, and gave Wild a look of astonishment. Wild looked satisfied.

“And since you ain’t the soppiest of geezers I’ve met, I am guessing she is special?”

Spot was not liking this conversation, but he could not see a way out of it. Apparently, Wild was more perceptive than he let on.

“I do not really know her.” Spot admitted.

“Aye, but you would like to.” Wild said giving Spot a teasing look. “People say you are cold-hearted, but I can see you ain’t. So who is this lass who has managed to break through you hard exterior with just one look?”

“I don’t even know you, why would I tell you?”

“Because, mate” Wild said lazily, “You are dying to tell someone, and here I am willingly offering you my ear for you to bend.”

“I’ve spent my whole life not telling anybody anything; I think I will be able to keep this to myself. So, I am afraid you ear is going to stay in its current state.” Spot said giving Wild a dry look.

Wild gave Spot a knowing look but didn’t say anything. They walked together in silence. Spot was surprised that he did not mind Wilds company. It was relaxing, and Wild was not very demanding.

After a bit, Wild walked off. But not before shouting:

“Jacks cousin is a pretty one, ain’t she?” Wild gave a deliberate smirk as he swaggered off.

Spot froze and watched in disbelief Wilds retreating back.

How, was the only thing Spot was able to think.