Meeting The Grandparents

Start from the beginning

With a shake of her head Celeste sat at the table and served up two plates of french toast, eggs, bacon, sausage and some fruit. She handed a plate over to Nate and dug into her own. Celeste was a sucker for some good ole’ french toast, every Monday morning her mother would whip up a huge french toast feast to start of the week. That was one reason that Celeste always looked forward to Monday’s. 

“So what are the plans for today?” Jay asked 

“I was planning to take Brooklyn to see my grandparents.” Nate replied 

“Do they live here in Phoenix?” Celeste asked 

“Yeah, not far from here actually,” Nate nodded 

“I think that’s great.” Celeste smiled “Do you get to see them often?”

“My family and I come up a couple times a month to visit with them or they come down and stay with us for a few days.” Nate answered “Would you like to come along?”

“To see you’re grandparents?” Celeste asked nervously. Meeting Nate’s parents was fine since she had met them when she went over to start their project but, now going to meet his grandparents. . .it was a little nerve wreaking. 

“She’d love to go.” Jay piped in, slapping Celeste on the back.

“Y-yeah, I-I’d love to.” Celeste nodded numbly. 

“Great, I’ll just get Brooklyn ready and we can head out.” Nate grinned as he picked up Brooklyn.

Celeste sat at the table and watched as Nate and Brooklyn entered the room. She knew that it was stupid of her to feel nervous about meeting his grandparents since she already knew his mother and father. She guessed it was just the fact that her meeting of his parents wasn’t the same as it was for other couples and her nerves were transferring to his grandparents. Would they like her? Would they approve of their grandson dating her? Would she make a complete fool of herself when she met them?

“Stop your worrying,” Jay chastised in a whisper so Nate wouldn’t hear. “Everything is going to be fine, they’ll love you.” 

“How do you know?” Celeste questioned turning her wide eyed gaze to him. “You can’t guarantee that.”

“Were you nervous when you met his parents?” Jay asked crossing his arms over his chest. 

“No, but I didn’t meet them while we were dating. I met them because I went to his house for our project. This is different.” Celeste answered 

“Just quit being all paranoid.” Jay said placing his hands on her shoulders. “They will love you.”

“I don’t know about that but, I’m going to get ready before I wimp out and lock myself in the bathroom.” Celeste muttered and walked to the room.

Brooklyn must not have been in one of her moods that morning since she was sitting still as Nate dressed her. Celeste remembered that she hadn’t given Brooklyn her gift yet. She really hoped that Nate didn’t mind that she had gotten Brook something during their shopping trip yesterday. It wasn’t exactly a cheap gift either. Celeste walked over to the shopping bags from yesterday and pulled out a small box. Opening the box Celeste stared down at the necklace that was nestled into the silky material. It was a yellow gold,  blueberry cupcake necklace from Orianne Collins ‘Yummylicious’ collection. Though Celeste knew that Brooklyn was a little young for jewelry she just had to buy the necklace when she had seen it.