3

Anand had done everything, from talking to his parents, eating his food, to even laughing at the absurd picture of his father near the brazier, who was trying to stir the container of milk in a monkey cap; but still, his mind drifted off to those people who were stuck, and were not able to celebrate last eve of the year like they'd planned.

The clock ticked by slowly letting the minutes turn into hours at the speed of snail.

Do what your heart desires. His mother's words echoed in his mind.

When he couldn't take his heart's heaviness anymore, he got up from his comfy couch, and the warmth of the fireplace, picked up some tools off of his garage, and started to go to inspect how bad the jam was. If the situation was not yet solved, he would try and help if needed.

At that moment, he was not thinking of his past, he was not even aware about the pain. His mind was just on one thing; he needed to do something to help his people. And he drove in the heavy snow to the outskirts of the city, careful not to speed above the speed limit.

In the matter of minutes he was right in front of a yellow barrier that read 'Stop'. A few policemen were on duty to let people know about the situation, and stop them from moving ahead. But, he thought he would be able to pass the barrier easily. Though it had been a while since he had been on the team, he recognised most of them, and hoped that they acknowledged him too.

He slowly took his car near the barrier, rolled down his windows, and called out to one of the policeman on duty he knew very well. "Sid!"

The man wearing a thick black jacket over his khaki uniform, turned his head in the same direction, and squinted to look past the flashing headlights. When he saw a figure waving his hand at him, he moved towards the man.

"Anand!" he exclaimed in surprise when he reached near, "What are you doing here?"

"Heard the news on the radio, and thought to come and check. How's the condition?" he glanced at the scene in front of him, and asked Sid in a worried tone.

"Bad, very bad. This time of the year is very difficult for all of us, as you already know. And because of the heavy snow, no one is ready to drive the crane. We're doing our best, but I don't think we would be able to do much of anything until the snow subsides."

"But, can't the available people drive?" Anand asked in confusion.

"Nah, they said they've never had to do anything with those heavy machines." His reply was almost tired, and without any hope.

But, Anand knew how to drive one.

"I want to know where the crane is," he stated suddenly.

Anand's unexpected demand caught him off guard. He narrowed his eyes at him and asked him suspiciously "Why do you want to know?"

"Well, how will I drive it if I don't know where it is?"

His smirk filled face made Sid think of the heavy snow, and narrow roads. Would it be safe? He thought, and his eyebrows hunched together in concern.

"What? I thought you'll be happy to get a driver."

"It's snowing, and the machine is heavy. Will you be able to drive it safely?"

It had been two years since Anand had driven heavy vehicles. But today, he was bursting with positive energy. He nodded firmly "Of course I'll be able to drive. My father says we never forget two things amongst many that we learn in life: swimming, and driving. So, I guess I'll be fine."

He tried to reply light-heartedly, but Sid was still unsure, and reiterated on a second thought. "But, you left the team, Anand. I'm not allowed to approve of anyone who's not part of the team."

Interconnected Paths |✔On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara