redefined / dave east

"Look, Marianna

"Look, Marianna. I know you've been saying it's stupid and not what you're going for but...Dave will give you the extra attention you need to the album." My best friend Kaia said hesitantly.

"...Kaia...If my music is that good it'll be fine."

"Whatever. I'm calling him. Just try it out, and if you end up not wanting the song on the album he won't take it personally."

"...Okay Kaia. It's only gonna be a waste of his time though." I shrugged.

"No it won't because with a producer like me," she pointed to herself, winking. "It's guaranteed to be a hit."

"Okay but I don't just want a hit. There's no doubt you will benefit it but it has to fit the topic of the whole album..."

"Just wait." She smirked.

~ A Week Or So Later~

"For real?"

"Yes. The whole three miles. I could've went longer though." Dave leaned back in the chair he was sitting in.

"...Well...Kaia was um...telling me that you were iffy about putting me on." Dave finally addressed the elephant in the room.

"Uh...Yea." I purses my lips. "Why's that?" He looked me in the eyes.

"Well, you know...The album's about reinventing myself, after being someone I wasn't...and talking about that time in the relationship I was in..."

"And I just felt like...your sound wasn't...what I was looking for." I looked away, brushing my hand over my hair.

"..No offense." I said quickly.

"None taken..."

"...Ready to record?"

"Actually no..I wanna look at the lyrics you wrote, and go over them. And possibly make some changes..." I grabbed his journal.

"No, no, no. I'll send you them from my notes." He grabbed the journal. "Got some uh...personal things in there."

"No problem."

He scrolled through his notes and sent me the file. My phone dinged from his text message.

I immediately started reviewing his lyrics.

"Nope." I took my finger and glided over the verse, cutting it. "Already?" He looked surprised.

"Yes. I don't like that so it's out." I shrugged, looking up at him. "Okay, okay. I get it. Boss lady." He smirked, licking his lips.