Chapter Ten

The warm soft kisses across his shoulders made James moan and shift slightly in his sleep. At first he thought he was dreaming about Amy, however even in slumber he recognised the small firm hand of his wife when she touched his hardening cock. He groaned and gently thrust his hips towards her. He felt her smile against his shoulder and he opened his eyes.

“I’m not dreaming, am I?”

“No,” she whispered against his skin.

He put his hand over hers, stilling her movements. “El, what are you doing?”

“What does it feel like I’m doing?” She murmured, nibbling gently across his back. “Do you want me to stop?”

James turned over to face her. Despite the murky darkness, he could see the brave smile didn’t reach her eyes and she was waiting for him to push her away as she had him so many times. There was a part of him that wanted to, if only to feel the satisfaction of inflicting the hurt she had on him so many times, but he was drunk and he’d missed her sighs and the touch of her hands on his skin.

Elise put her arms around his neck and kissed him, hard and deeply. James let go of his misgivings and tightened his arms around her. It had been a long time since they had touched one another, yet their movements were natural and familiar. It was raw and primal, as if they were punishing each other with every thrust, scratch and biting kiss. As their orgasms approached and she clung to him, whispering his name as if in prayer, she hoped that perhaps they were also forgiving one another.

      ******

She is lying, curled on her side clutching her stomach, as he hits her wildly with the poker he is holding, though his anger is dissipating and eventually he stops hitting her and stands, gasping for breath. For the first time he notices the blood in her red hair, on the poker and all over his hands. He straightens up and prods her with his foot, but she is deathly still and fear floods through him. He kneels beside her and, gently, he turns her over.

Elise’s beautiful face is bloodied and bruised and her green eyes are wide open and staring beyond him; lifeless and empty.

James sat up in bed, gasping as the cry died in his throat. Next to him, Elise lay sleeping on her side, curled in the foetal position she had always favoured and he sat for a few seconds, staring at her, wondering why she was there and what had woken him with such a feeling of fear. Already the dream had receded from his memory and after a couple of minutes he lay back down and fell asleep again.

      ******

Elise woke before James’ alarm went off, but she lay quietly next to him and stirred only when the sharp beep of the clock cut through the air. He bolted upright and glanced around the room, as if unsure of where he was. Gently, Elise stroked his back and he jumped, violently. She stopped, uncertainly, and he rubbed his face, wearily.

“Sorry,” he murmured. “I had a restless night and a few nightmares; the alarm clock just about scared the shit out of me.”

“Go have a shower and I’ll make you breakfast,” Elise said, brightly. She sprung out of bed and scurried across to her room before he could say anything else.

James got out of bed and hurried downstairs to the bathroom. He switched on the light, turned on the tap and splashed his face with cold water before studying himself in the mirror. His eyes were bloodshot and there were bags underneath them. He looked haggard and exhausted. Vague memories of the nightmare he’d been caught up in nagged at the edges of his mind, but like all dreams the harder he tried to remember, the more elusive it became.

It didn’t matter anyway, he thought, crossly. Dreams meant nothing when he had to deal with the reality of what had happened last night between him and Elise.