Prologue | Leave me alone.

Short prologue | Leave me alone.

A menace, that's what he was. Wayne Walsh had a tendency of starting a war just to win it. You could call it his life philosophy, but he would say it was more of a goal. He just couldn't down other's expectations yet, and that lead to being a bit misunderstood sometimes. 

 On the other hand, he savoured silence. The underestimated system of the human brain was what he confided in most days and leaving it to rot was his last option. It haunted him in the darkness of his room where he spent his last days of Summer, the blinds covering his windows and sunshine shut out. 

 Constantly he thought of her and how silence didn't seen to take a liking to her as much as it did to him. Everyone knew about the way he felt, the way he looked at her from under the bleachers and she didn't seem to care or bother. 

 "He's staring at you again," Nanci said to Violet, not minding her own business as usual. 

 It was the first day of school and as homework was replacing the outdoors they had all gathered for the lunch-break between Math and Honor English. 

 "Just leave him alone, he's not that bad," Violet spoke and snickered a bit. "He's kinda cute." 

 "If you like someone who looks like he stepped out of a Nicholas Sparks novel, then yes... He's creepy, Vi," Jill told her with the attitude of her mother showing off. 

 "I'm not saying he isn't, but he seems harmless. Leave the kid alone." Violet tried making it sound like one of her common threats, the behaviour of her father, but she was the one who managed to seem harmless. 

 "Harmless my arse, no one plans a murder out loud." 

 Violet had thought about him a lot and maybe that's exactly what he wanted. She didn't think she would ever let anyone take the life of her thoughts and force it to get the best of her. She was independent and strong, nothing like her own mother and neither of the options she had chosen for herself would solve this. 

 She had considered talking to him, asking what he was doing and tell him to stay away. Leave me alone she wanted to shout, get out of my head

 No one had noticed her worry, the agony and her panic arriving at the front porch. Her dad might have at some point, he wasn't born yesterday and he said he had the intuition of both parents. She wanted him to know, she just didn't want to tell him. 

 Wayne wouldn't harm her. He just wouldn't. She knew he wouldn't. He wasn't like that, he was nice and funny and he always shared his cookies with her in kindergarten. He was just misunderstood and lonely. He had to be or else she might go insane from thinking that it was possible.

But she would listen to her own words; leave the kid alone. The question was if he would do the same.