Chapter 7: He's Definitely Different

Start from the beginning

Titus started to laugh. I couldn't help but smile myself. I hoped this meant I wasn't going to end up at the bottom of a lake.

"In hopes of not appearing stalker-ish, my family owns property in these woods. And rather than sit at home, I drive around and enjoy nature." Closing his eyes, he settled into the grass.

"Still." I pulled at the weeds around my feet. "I don't understand how you ended up here."

"I was driving by and saw a green truck similar to your dad's. I stopped and saw you get out. So I decided, why wait, when I can see you again right now." He smiled that same cheesy grin.

"You live alone in the woods with your family?" I smiled to myself. "You're starting to make sense."

"So where do you live?" He peeked over at me.

I let out a shaky laugh. "Why do you care? I mean..." I rubbed the back of my head. "I don't exactly know you."

Titus looked away and started pouting. "I was just asking. I didn't think it would hurt to find out a little about you. I thought you might want to be friends." He kicked at the dirt.

Friends— that was an abrupt entrance into the conversation. But I wasn't getting any weird feelings that he might be a serial killer hiding out in the woods. Titus seemed like a nice guy. I guess he could be considered that new friend my father mentioned.

"I live in Harper's Creek."

His face lit up.

"My best friend is actually a descendant of the people who founded it. It's weird, though." I leaned back on my arms. "The creek is actually a river, so I never really understood the name." Sucking in my lips, I glanced at him.

Titus shrugged and sprawled out. Taking a deep breath, he clenched his abs. The more things I noticed about him made me come to the conclusion that he had to be an athlete. So yet again, I was going to be the sidekick friend to another Chris.

"What sports do you play?" I put my chin on my knees.

"What?"

"At your high school." I laid my head to the side. "Are you on the football team?"

Titus laughed hesitantly and sat up. "I'm not on any teams."

"Really?" I looked forward. "Hmm... the coach at my school wouldn't leave you alone until you joined. He did that to Chris. Once you're on the team, he won't let you quit."

"I'm not a sportsperson," said Titus. "What about you?"

"I tried, but I'm not exactly football material."

"Nothing is wrong with that."

"I guess."

Titus went back to soaking in the sun. "So are you in a relationship?"

"I wish," I muttered under my breath. "I just got out of one. Things weren't working out between us."

With a smile on his face, Titus relaxed even more and sucked in his stomach.

"Well, I think I better go." I stood and dusted off my hands. "My dad will probably be ready to leave soon."

He shot to his feet. "Where to?"

"I don't know." I backed away. "He's dealing with all the camp managers' complaints today."

"Can't you ask him if you can stay?" Titus moved in closer. "And he can pick you up later?"

"I don't know." I took a couple of steps back.

"Please." He hovered above me and grabbed my hand. "Do you really want to sit in a truck when you can hang out with me?"