Chapter 4

«Alex's POV»

My eyelids flutter open, and I feel the hum of an engine underneath me.

I try to open my eyes, but shut the closed quickly because of their sensitivity to light.

Once I could keep my eyes open without then watering, I sit up and look around.

Uh oh.

"Morning, Sleeping Beauty."Jake smirks.

He has his arms placed casually on the steering wheel, sending me a smug look.

I purposefully ignore him, instead focusing on getting my body active and alert.

I stretch in his car, and the scent of dried blood fills my nose.

I suddenly remember the encounter I had with the Rogues, grimacing as I notice that the blood has dried my shirt to my skin.

It is very uncomfortable. I look down at my blood caked and shredded black clothing.

"My poor clothes," I pout, tugging on my clothing.

Jake glances at me and sighs. "Here."

He shoves some basketball shorts at me and one of his hoodies.

I can tell he doesn't want to have me wear them even without him complaining under his breath, but his dad, Alpha Tyler, probably made him lend me some clothes.

"Thanks," I say, accepting them hesitantly.

I'm not in the mood for arguing with him.

I mean, he did carry me to the car, and let me get blood all over his seat so I guess I can be cordial....for now.

I kick off my blood smothered boots quickly and leave them on the floor, nudging them away from me.

I peel my pants off gingerly, and notice that all of my cuts and bruises are healed.

I pull on his basketball shorts easily since they are twice my size even with my big butt.

I then proceed to rip my jacket off of me carelessly.

It's in tatters anyway.

I pull my black tank top up and over my head and throw it on the floor.

"You have got to be kidding me," I say running a finger down the scar that now runs along my stomach.

I sigh, knowing that there's nothing I can about it and adding it to my ever increasing number of flaws.

After accepting its existence as a part of me, I pull Jake's hoodie over my head, struggling a little.

I chuckle at my stupidity as I try to shove my head through the arm hole, and adjust the fabric again.

Once my head finally pops out of the appropriate hole, I pull my hair out, grimacing at its texture and filthiness.

Once I am all done dressing myself, I turn to say a smart remark to Jake.

But I stop short when I see Jake's white knuckles wrapped around the steering wheel like his life depended on it.

I can by tension and bulging veins on his arms that he is about to snap it, but at least he showing some self control since it doesn't break.

"Are you nervous?" I tease him, smirking.

"If you want to be my mate, all you have to do is ask," Jake smirks and winks at me.

"Ew, no thanks. I'll pass." I say scrunching my nose up in disgust.

He might not be nervous, but I am.

I don't know who my mate is. He could be a serial killer for all I know!

I'll be mated to a stranger, or worse, what if I do know my mate?

What if he knows me?

Will he be proud of me for being a Pack Warrior, or will he be terrified because I kill people?

Most males are terrified of me. I wouldn't be surprised if he were scared of me.

I am Pack Warrior after all, but if we're mates then he'll have to accept that right?

But he doesn't have to. What if he rejects me?

A depressed feeling washes over me like a tsunami, drowning me.

I bring my knees to my chest, and let my arms around them.

I rest my cheek on my knees in a comforting manner, my head facing the window so that Jake can't see my expression.

I can feel Jake glancing at me, but I keep my eyes trained on the moving trees outside the window.

He doesn't say anything, and I am grateful. He's not exactly someone I could trust to open up to.

We drive in silence the rest of the way until we see a mansion come into view in a clearing.

As if being alone in a car with Jake isn't enough.

My heart plummets into my stomach, and I groan in frustration.

I guess I'll find out soon enough.