Chapter 9

"So, I'm in your universe, right? Like, it's whole big, bad world outside––billions of people," Anna said, struggling to get the words out through a mouthful of spaghetti. They were currently lounging about in the tower's main living space, deciding against having this particular conversation in public.

"...obviously," Tony snarked, shouting when Natasha prodded him with a plastic fork.

"Well, I didn't really take all of that into consideration. I mean, it's a given that there are a lot of universes out there if we're really gonna dive head first into this 'multi-verse' theory, and I'm not entirely sure which universe I'm in, I mean which one we're in, exactly, but––"

"Anna, breathe," Clint said, sending her a concerned look over his plate of bolognese. Anna sighed, taking a moment to dab at her lips, laden with pasta sauce.

"What I'm trying to say is that you're not the only characters in this universe. There are other Marvel characters besides you guys and for some unknown reason that didn't cross my mind until now. Well, until about an hour ago."

"So that man...Matt? He's another 'character'?" Sam asked, bewildered. Anna poked at her spaghetti for a minute, gnawing at the inside of her cheek in thought.

"Yes, but I can't tell you anything else. You know, secret identities and stuff," she finally muttered, shrugging. "It wouldn't be right."

"What about enemies, though? That would be an invaluable resource," Natasha pointed out, and the rest of the group nodded in agreement. Except Bucky. He was staring at his plate of food like it had insulted his mother and then backhanded Steve clear across the room.

"That's where it's gonna get tricky," Anna said, sticking another meatball in her mouth, "because I don't know exactly what universe you're in, I don't know if any of the information I have would be accurate. I'd need a rundown."

"That's definitely possible. I'll begin compiling things tonight," Steve said.

"In the morning," Bucky muttered, the first words he'd said in the past hour, "it's late." Steve looked ready to object but Anna hurriedly agreed.

"Bucky's right, we'll start in the morning. I'm fucking exhausted and I'm very content to sit here and eat Italian food until I pass out."

"Tomorrow morning we'll meet in the labs, 10 o'clock sharp," Natasha confirmed.

"10:30...?" Sam hedged. Natasha leveled him with a flat stare before rolling her eyes.

"10:30," she acceded, flipping Sam off when he gave her a sickeningly sweet smile.

"Alright! It's settled! I call shotgun," Clint said, before walking off toward the bathrooms.

"Wait, shotgun for what?" Sam called after him, only to be met with a decidedly evil chuckle. "Shotgun for what, Clint?"

~~~

As the night drew on, people began to disperse, meandering off to their respective rooms. Eventually, only Bucky and Anna were left, sitting at opposite ends of the couch watching a re-run of Planet Earth. It was a companionable silence, broken only by the sound of someone shifting around every now and again. Anna thought back to Matt. If Matt was here, that meant Foggy could be in the city, also. Claire. Karen. Frank. The list was endless. "I really shouldn't be trusted with this information. The Universe should've set some qualifications for shit like this..." she thought, staring a little too intensely at the zebra meandering across the screen.

When the credits began to roll and Anna turned to say goodnight, Bucky spoke. "If this universe checks out..." he began, still facing forward, eyes transfixed on a spot just past the TV, "will you give me the names that I need?"

In all honestly, Anna saw this question coming from miles away but silently hoped he'd wait until morning to ask––where there were other people that could have this conversation for her. She hesitated, staring at the profile of Bucky's face––the tightness is his jaw, the furrow of his brow. She thought of Steve; thought of Steve losing Bucky again because she gave him names, and places, and times. She thought of what HYDRA had done to Bucky––wondered if revenge for that was worth dying for.

She decided that it wasn't her call to make.

"Yes," she said, sticking out her hand. Bucky sighed, expression smoothing out, and took his hand in her own. "On the condition that you don't do anything stupid." Bucky smiled at her then; it was a small, sad smile.

"When have I ever?"

"And that you tell the team." His face darkened at that, hand retracting in an instant.

"No."

"Not telling the team qualifies as something 'stupid', Bucky," Anna sighed, breath catching in her throat as he unleashed the full power of his assassin glare. "Okay, that's scary as fuck, but I will scream for JARVIS, don't you think I won't–"

"I do it alone. No one else has to get hurt," he ground out.

"That's a terrible idea and you know it. You work better as a team; you'll have more eyes and more minds working with you. You're smart, but no one is that smart," Anna reasoned and Bucky all but deflated, sinking back into the couch. They sat in a tense quiet for a few moments before Bucky sighed.

"...maybe Stark."

"What?" Anna asked, confused.

"Stark might be that smart," Bucky clarified, cracking open one eye to give her a half-hearted glare, significantly less scary than the first one. "But if you tell him I said that, I'll find and print the fanfiction for him."

"Done and done," Anna said, gathering her things and all but jumping from the couch. She made it across the room before adding: "Annndddd we tell the team, if it comes to that."

"We tell the team," Bucky acceded, hitting play on whatever was queued next on Netflix. Anna smiled, pleased with her negotiating skills, and then headed off to bed. Tomorrow was going to be a long day.

*HELLO THERE. I know, I know, it's been a while but life is hectic and it's constantly trying to mow me down with a zamboni. Please excuse/point out any spelling/grammatical errors! Thank you so much for reading––you guys are amazing and wonderful and lovely. Any comments are greatly appreciated!*