Chapter Eight

November

"Okay ladies!" the senior school prefect stood up. "It's time to disembark. Remember that we are watching you and we expect that Bethell ladies always are on their best behavior everywhere we go."

Some prefects and teachers including our Health and Nutrition teacher, Sister Joan who smiled at me and Lorraine led us into the auditorium. As soon we stepped in, whistles and catcalls by the boys who were probably also excited to see members of the opposite sex received us. Lorraine and I shared excited looks as we took our seats at the area sectioned for us. The boys were seated on the opposite side.

"They all look alike", Lorraine observed.

I giggled. "That's true."

But it was easier to distinguish between juniors and seniors. For one, the juniors' uniforms were new and baggy. They were also seated in the front while the seniors were at the back of the auditorium.

The debate begun after both schools had proudly sang the national anthem as well our school anthems. I fumbled through the words because I wasn't present during general orientation. I thought it was going to be boring but it turned out to be very informative and lively. Pretty soon, when we had gotten comfortable, we cheered and jeered. It was a tight competition and I felt myself occasionally switching my opinions. Finally, the judges had a short discussion amongst them and then announced the winner.

"The judges have come up with their winner and this year..." the MC teased the audience.

We all groaned collectively and started laughing.

"Bethell Academy for Girls!"

We stood up and started cheering for our debate team as they were called unto the stage with the group's coordinator and our headmistress, Mrs. Olive Portuphy. After the awards, the students integrated and that become my challenge.

"We need to find somewhere to call Jason", I whispered to Lorraine.

"Let's step outside. I'm sure we can hide behind a tree or something. I have a feeling their eyes are going to be on us", she replied.

But I didn't have the time to ask whose eyes she was talking about because we bumped into my old schoolmate from junior high.

"Joelle Jones!" he looked really surprised to see me.

"Hi Odartey", I greeted him knowing what he was going to say next.

"When Delores told me you were at BAGS, I thought she was lying", he said.

"You met Delores already?" I looked around for her but there were too many people.

"The Mountain Crest exams were killer. I got in but I decided to come here instead, the greatest school in Ghana!" he declared.

I smiled. "Oh, this is my friend Lorraine. We are in the same class. Lorraine this is Odartey. He used to steal my pens."

They briefly exchanged shy hellos.

Lorraine nudged me. "Ask him if he knows Jason."

"Yes!" I said almost immediately. "We are looking for Jason. He's in Form 2."

Odartey thought quickly. "Lotion?"

"Who?"

He chuckled. "Jason, his name is Lotion. He's a rapper and an event organizer."

"Wow, he's started his career early", Lorraine joked.

"Do you know where he is? I'm supposed to give him a gift from his girlfriend", I told Odartey.