06 | p e n n e

I was still standing there, in the hallway of Edgewood High, in front of Ace Carter who had just beat a kid to a pulp

I was still standing there, in the hallway of Edgewood High, in front of Ace Carter who had just beat a kid to a pulp. Somewhere inside of me, I felt a fear that I had felt many times before but it had been so long, I didn't know what to do with it.

I moved my eyes from Ace's hands up to his bruised and bloodied face. He had a split lip in three different places. There was a welting bruise on his right cheekbone and a cut near his eyebrow. There was still malice in his eyes and that scared me most of all. That he could look at me with such anger.

I took a few steps back from him, the tears spilling over onto my cheeks. By this point, most of the students had scurried out of the way, scared of getting into trouble. My tears did something to Ace's features. They softened greatly and the anger ceased from his eyes. But I was still scared.
I held my arms across my body protectively and my nails dug into my skin. It hurt but not as bad as when I thought of Ace hurting somebody else.

He started toward me and I flinched and tears welled up again. He saw the fear in my eyes and he looked destroyed. I didn't even notice the principal as he stalked his way over and yelled at Ace to go to the office.

I wasn't even aware of Ryder pulling me away from Ace until were were outside of the school in front of the parking lot. I didn't know where Kaz had gone to but Ryder was in front of me, talking. I let his voice soothe me. He was telling me Ace would be okay, the other kid would be okay. I would be okay. I didn't know Ryder was a nice guy. But what if he was pretending too?

The words still soothed me as he walked me to my car and I got in. He told me I shouldn't drive when I was like this but I managed a small smile and told him I was okay, just shocked.

He let me go, apprehensively and I climbed into my car and started it up. I so wasn't okay. I knew that but I wanted to get home and forget about today.

It was hours later when I finally heard my phone go off

It was hours later when I finally heard my phone go off. I was just finishing my math homework when the ringing filled my ears. The only people who ever called me were Lilli and Ace. I didn't want to talk to either. But alas, I looked at the caller ID and saw it was exactly who I expected.