Chapter 8 ~ Zelda

Castle Town is lively as always. Music fills the air, children play and weave through the crowds, couples dance... all was as it should be. The smiles they elicit in me are always completely genuine. Whenever I'm here, it feels as though my efforts are worth something...

   Once upon a time, Link and I were the children causing trouble in the plaza. We'd steal desserts from stands, play pranks on the poor unsuspecting citizens, hide from my father... The two of us really gave Impa a run for her rupees back then. As I turn to share these thoughts, I find Link in awe of the town around him.

   He had stopped a few steps behind me, eyes widened and mouth just barely agape. I yearned to know his thoughts. He looks so charming like this, enthralled by the many sights and sounds of Hyrule's capital... I step into his line of sight and give him a questioning head tilt.

    With a weak smile, he folds his arms behind his back, "I've missed this place..." I can see in his eyes it was true. There is a certain sort of peace woven into them.

   We fall back into step together, but the distance between us still left me longing for more. As children we'd walk hand in hand, arm in arm. The distance was maybe a few inches at most. Now, there's easily an entire person between us. Anxiety occupied the space between us now.

  Link's nervous fidgeting adds to my own unease. His ears twitching almost nonstop, and his hands splay and tense. I wish to hold them, as we used to. A gesture that often soothed the both of us. 

   I begin to believe any topic would be better than nothing at all. I am desperate to know where he's been all this time... and why for so long. But that would no doubt make him uncomfortable- even send him running. This would not be the place for such a heavy discussion anyhow...

   I start small, just an innocent inquiry, "So... have you missed anything else?" 'Have you missed me?' My inner self begs. So maybe it isn't such an innocent question after all...

   And just as he turns to answer, a shrill shriek freezes the entire square.

  Immediate silence follows. Every conversation coming to an abrupt halt.

  'What in Nayru's name just happened?'

   I warily start forward, whatever has just occured, I must know and rectify it immediately. Castletown is a peaceful place; even the lesser parts of town rarely quarrel. For something to happen in broad daylight like this... the attacker must be stupid or desperate. I want to pray it's the former.

   Sudden movement from the alley has me whirling in that direction, magic dancing on the tips of my fingers.

   Then a screaming child is barreling towards me.

   I hadn't the time to react, but Link does. He catches me as she sent us flying backwards. The young girl clings to me with an iron grip, I struggle to balance on my own two feet again.

   And that is when we finally see what caused the commotion.

   The square disperses to reveal three men. All standing menacingly across the square. One of whom has a woman thrown over his shoulder, I assume the child's mother. The other two look at the girl in my arms like she is made of gold.

   Next I know there's a short sword held out protectively in front of us-

   Link. There is nothing but cold fury in his face. His eyes like daggers of ice, just waiting to cut through them mercilessly.