Chapter 1 ~ Zelda

Hyrule field in spring time is a place of unparalleled beauty. Wildflowers grow in abundance, the rivers run pure, and the breeze is never harsh. I remember when none of these things were. When evil permeated the land, filling it with death and gloom. I promised long ago to never again take the health of the earth for granted. It is a gift the goddess Farore has seen fit to give us, and can be taken away.

   There are few people out this time of day, just before the sun sets, making it my favorite time to ride. Watching the day turn to night always gives me a profound sense of peace. I may at last rest. Tomorrow would be a new day. I continually hope, though often in vain, that the next day will not be so demanding.

   "You seem to be enjoying yourself, Zelda." Impa muses.

   My caretaker since childhood. While I was now a grown woman in no need of nannying, I have come to rely on her for far more than keeping me out of trouble. My mentor has been with me through every step of my life, and becoming Queen certainly hadn't put a damper on that.

   "I am. Thank you for tearing me from my desk for a reprieve. I would not have known spring had already come."

   Claiming I was in need of a break from my duties, she ushered me away with the promise of a calm ride through my kingdom. This was undoubtedly the most relaxed I'd felt in months.

   If I could choose one thing to never do again, it would be paperwork. Paperwork takes up nearly all of my time these days. So often I wish to throw it all in the fireplace and watch the eloquent script burn, ignore the haughty demands of nobles, while I drink a much needed glass of wine. This ride was very welcome, even if there was a bit of anxiety in taking a break from my duties.

   "Have you missed me, Pride?" I ask my steed, letting my fingers stray from the reins to comb his blond mane. I have not ridden him in far too long. Stable hands exercise him regularly, but he is first and foremost my horse. He whinnies in response. "I'll take that as a yes." I laugh. Impa and I continue on the path, until something peculiar catches my eye. A horse without its rider, galloping through the field in a panic.

  "Impa, are any of our cavaliers missing?" I inquire of her. Wild horses are not a common sight. Most found near and in the Gerudo Fortess or LonLon ranch.

   She leads her black stallion closer to me, guarding me. "None have reported such. The ranchers aren't around either. Would you like to investigate the area?" I feel... drawn to it... As though something is calling to me. I give her a single nod and let her lead the way.

  I take in as many details as I can make out. It's rather large, solid brown with long white hair- a Clydesdale from the looks of it. A traveler's saddle rests upon its back, with many packs attached, and a fair amount of weapons... A horse like this couldn't be from around here. Yet, it strikes me as achingly familiar.

  The poor thing is utterly frenzied. Once we entered it's line of sight, it turned on a dime a sprinted into the forest. My curiosity demands answers, and I let it take control. I spur Pride on to chase after it without hesitation. Impa follows close behind, muttering about a desire for a warning next time.

   A flurry of questions are on my tongue. Why do I feel so drawn to this horse? Because it was so familiar? Why was that, if it did not belong to my army? I needed these answers. Not to mention, this is the most excitement I've gotten in years. I stood in my saddle, unwilling to let the wild steed get away. It hopped over fallen trunks and rocks unhindered. As if seasoned in quick escapes in close quarters. Impa had fallen behind, but Pride did not falter.

  We tail it deep into the woods, until the Clydesdale comes to a, quite literal, screeching halt. I yank the reins hard, shrieking in fear for the horse's- as well as my own- wellbeing. Pride snorts indignantly, shaking out his nerves and glowering. I soothe him with words of praise and gentle strokes. His stare continues. He wasn't mad at me, then.

  "Hello." I coo to the other. It nickers and steps back. Could it be afraid? A bow of Pride's head reveals that, no, it was not fleeing from us. Rather, it was leading us to something.

   I gape at the sight.

   A man, tattered and wounded, lay deathly still on the ground. "Is this your rider?" It nods, as if it understood the question. Not the response I expected, but one I am glad for. I slide off my saddle, keeping a hand precautiously tangled in the hair of my horse. The other nudges him with it's nose.

   Another tug, an invisible tether, urges me towards this collapsed soul.

   My knees sink into the ground beside him. Healing instincts taking over, I press my fingers to his neck for a pulse. It wasn't just there, it was rapid. Deeply worrying. His horse backs away to give us space. I turn him over as gingerly as possible. Then time itself stops.

   5 years... he's been missing for 5 years. Yet...

   He lies before me, battle worn, exhaustion written all across his features, and knocking on deaths door. My first friend. My best friend... My hero.

   Link.