Chapter 6

1:45 am

9S closed his door as softly as a gentle hush and took a deep breath to steel his nerves. There was no guarantee that everyone was asleep, so 9S must be as stealthy as he could be. Gosh, he hopes he doesn't trip.

Humans weren't made of light materials, annoyingly, so they all held quite some weight and 9S was no different. Thankfully, however, Nines' body was alike to his own in physical appearance, meaning Nines was small and light compared to most. But 9S' body was basically weightless compared to Nines'. 9S thought back with nostalgia to the way he used to move his body like he was flying through the air. He really wanted that back, just for a little bit. Especially now when he felt like he was dragging his feet and having to put more effort into moving than usual.

Regarding physical capabilities, 9S thought Android bodies were best.

Shaking his head, 9S focused on what was in front of him. It was dark in the house, but 9S managed fine. He's memorized the layout from how often he's been around the house so he knew which parts would creak and which wouldn't. Half a step forward and then step 47 degrees east. Sidestep and then leap a little to land perfectly on the carpet that had an annoying stray thread.

Mechanically and efficiently. It was kind of relaxing doing something so routine. Wash and repeat. Follow the order step by step.

Hah. Step.

Finally, 9S made it to the front doors, head feeling heavy. The way Nines' family does it, they have all the shoes stationed by the door, although 9S preferred having his school shoes in his room. 9S pulled out his sneakers, the lightest and most comfortable ones he owned. They were perfect for running on. It was sorta hard to believe that 9S used to run wearing something akin to boots. They weren't like 2B's heels but still. 9S doesn't think he can do that now without feeling tired after a few seconds. Or possibly falling. Or worse.

Once his sneakers were secured on his feet, 9S grabbed his flashlight from his bag and held it in the hand that wasn't holding his phone. "Okay." He whispers, the only sound in the night. He rubs his tired eyes. "I swear, Adam. This better be worth it." And with a single push, 9S steps into the cold air.

Once outside and the door locked, 9S runs as far as he could from the house to avoid association. The chill of the night slapped him in the face, but 9S couldn't help but laugh a little. Holy crap, he was tired. His mind didn't feel as quick or aware as it usually did and his eyes would fall every once in a while without his notice. What the heck was he doing? Going out and most likely going to run into some sort of trouble without feeling rested—

He's an idiot. But, he's on the way so he might as well go through with it.

The street lights were on, so 9S didn't think he needed to use the flashlight just yet. However, holding the flashlight made him feel a little bit safer. He may not be using it now (it would draw attention) but when the time comes, at least he'll have a light.

The walk itself is honestly quite a bore. Repeating scenery— the street lights, the pavement, the road, the occasional rubbish bin along with a bench that would appear sometimes. 9S huffs. It was a considerably cold night. How unlucky. The season was spring and spring could never decide what temperature it wanted.

9S looks down at his phone. He's going to have to take a right in 100 meters. He looks up. Ah, there's the turn. Just then, the device in his hand vibrates.

A text. From Adam.

Biting his lip, 9S unlocks his phone and opens up his messages. Could it perhaps be a hint, in case 9S didn't figure out the numbers were coordinates? 9S scoffs quietly to himself.