Gemma licked her index finger and thumb and flipped the page, not bothering to acknowledge that Hypnos popped in. “Where have you been?”

He shrugged, throwing himself on the couch in the sitting area of her library. He hated reading and he never knew why Gemma found it so interesting. When she wasn’t filling her mind with knowledge, she was someone to fear because she loved to create chaos. Hypnos didn’t like this tamed side of her. “Here and there, Thanatos like to get out of the Underworld and travel once in a while. I bumped into Hades in Olympus and he sent me back to tend to the girl. Have you seen her yet?”

Gemma grumbled at the mention of the girl and closed her book. “I think nothing of her, my grandson could’ve done better.”

“That is awfully presumptuous of you seeing as you don’t know her.” Hypnos countered, he lifted his finger and commanded the tray of fruit to float to him. He wasn’t hungry, but the fruit looked fresh.

“Oh, Hypnos, how careless of you to think I care.” Gemma said. “She is a human, Hades could’ve done far better.”

“Don’t doubt her, Gemma. Hades is not a fool. He’s waited for centuries for someone and we have to trust that he’s chosen his new companion right.” Hypnos said in defense for his best friend.

Gemma was well aware of her grandson’s lonely predicament. When Alessandra was born, that’s when he’d started to live again. Before that she hardly saw him, but she couldn’t shake the feeling that something would go wrong. “How is he?”

“He didn’t collect a soul and he stayed on the human realm longer than he was supposed to. He just needs to rest.” Hypnos replied. He tossed a grape in his mouth.

“Good, I want to see him.”

“I’m sure he feels the same way.”

She made a low sound in the back of her throat and resumed reading her book. Hypnos rolled his eyes. Clearly, Hades had been the source of her trepidation. He pulled a grape from the stem and tossed it across the room at her. Without looking away from her book, she caught in mid-air and popped it in her mouth. “Careful, Hypnos, I don’t want to have to nail you to the rocks of the cave for the ravens to pick at you.”

Hypnos believed her. She’d done it before.

“Alessandra . . .” Winnie lulled softly. She watched her sleep for two hours, and there was still no sign that she’d wake up anytime soon. Morton had done a good job with patching her up and luckily she had so much hair that you couldn’t even see the bald spot where Morton shaved so that he could operate on her.

Afterwards, Winnie gave her a bath and put her in the room closest to Hades’. The sheets nearly swallowed her frail frame as she rested soundlessly. Winnie dressed her in a sheer gown that hung loose around her body. Alessandra had lost weight, badly.

Winnie never left. She stayed with her and waited patiently for any signs of Alessandra to wake, but she never did. Maybe Hypnos gave a little too much of his sleep remedy to her. Just when she was about to call the God in question, Alessandra moved.

It wasn’t much, but it was enough to draw Winnie close. She climbed onto the bed right next to Alessandra. She didn’t say anything as Alessandra moved her head slowly from side to side and then she said faintly, “Mom . . .”

Winnie frowned. She didn’t want to disappoint her when she woke up and found out that her mother wasn’t looking after her, but a complete stranger was. Nevertheless, she remained silent as Alessandra slowly regained consciousness.

Immediately, Winnie was struck by the vibrancy of her eyes. They were the same shade as Hades’, but lighter in comparison. She was even prettier now.