17

"So maybe ice skating was not exactly your 'thing'" I giggled as we handed back our skates and swapped them for our normal shoes. 

Simon fell numerous times during our hour on the rink. My cheeks hurt from laughing so much and Simon complained about his ass being completely numb. The sky had gotten darker, a thick layer of dark clouds had blocked any sun from getting through. My hands were freezing, my nose was numb and from what i could guess, completely red.

"Do you wanna go get a hot drink? It might warm you up a bit" Simon suggested and i nodded eagerly. The woman in the little wooden cabin handed us our hot chocolates and we took a seat at one of the small tables.

"Look, it's snowing!" I couldn't hide my excitement as i watched the tiny snowflakes fall from the sky. The dark clouds had finally dropped their load. 

As much as i hated the cold weather, i could not say that snow did not fill me with happiness like a child. There is something about snow that just brightens everyone's mood. The thought of the snow sticking to the ground and school being cancelled, building snow men in the street with the neighbours. 

I realised that i had been staring at the view with a stupid grin on my face. I turned to look at Simon. There was a smile on his lips but his gaze was not on the snowy view outside, he was looking straight at me.

"You have a beautiful smile Zoe" I couldn't believe the words that were coming out of Simon's mouth. These were not the type of words that you thought you would hear from one of the most renowned gang leaders around. But yet, he said them to me. 

But of course, the shocking moment couldn't have lasted long. A loud ringtone was making its way out of Simon's back pocket and he lifted from his seat to grab it. His eyes darted to the name on the screen and then he stood from his chair.

"I'm so sorry Zoe, i have to take this" Before i could even say a word, he left the little log cabin. I watched as he made his way outside and answered the call. His expression was almost unreadable. The conversation looked intense, Simon looked angry. But it wasn't like when he was yelling down the phone that night in the club, his voice was hushed, like he didn't want anyone around to hear the conversation he was having.

I couldn't help the uneasiness that i was feeling. Hushed conversations were obviously not innocent conversations. Sometimes, in moments like before, i forget who i am actually out with. He could be on the phone with a drug dealer, or a serial killer. The thoughts that were rushing round and round in my brain distracted me from the fact that Simon was on his way back to our table.

"Zoe, i have to go" I have to admit that my heart dropped. We were having such an amazing time but it all had to be ruined by a stupid phone call.

"Oh right" I mumbled as i stood up and grabbed my coat from the back of my chair. "Is everything okay?" 

"Nothing i can't handle" Simon gave me a small smile but i knew that this was dangerous business. He was trying to make a joke, lighten the mood, but my good mood had already been destroyed. I just wanted to go home again.

The drive back to my apartment was quiet. Simon's hands were gripping the steering wheel tightly, his knuckles turning white. But i did not want to ask anymore questions, he was obviously angry or anxious and i didn't want to make it worse. 

"Shit" The exclamation from Simon shocked me. It was so quiet and then he says this. I could see his eyes darting from the rear view mirror to the road and back to the rear view mirror.

The car suddenly took a sharp right turn and my whole body slid across my seat towards the window.

"What the hell Simon?!" I half yelled. But he was not listening to me in that moment. 

Another sharp turn and my body flew the other way. Simon angrily clicked a few buttons on his dashboard and a ringing tone flooded the car.

"Simon?" It was Josh's voice, i recognised it straight away. Josh was as confused as i was.

"Josh, we're being chased by a car right now" Simon's voice was steady, but the news filled me with sudden dread.

"We're what?!" I yelled and Simon flinched. 

"Zoe, please calm down" Simon flicked his gaze towards me.

"Calm down? You just said we are being chased and you expect me to calm down"

"Zoe, we're going to handle this" Josh's voice filled the car again "Simon, where are you now?"

"Coming onto Havard street, they're in a black BMW, the windows are dark. You can't make out the driver" From the tone of Simon's voice, it sounded like this was nothing new to them, they had had this conversation before. I'm glad he was not stressing out like i was.

"Tobi and I are in the car, we're going to get behind them"

"Taking a left turn onto Park Avenue, how far away are you?"

"Coming up behind the car now, they should back down once they realise we're on to them. You have nothing to worry about Zoe" Josh was trying to calm me down and i was thankful for it. But in this situation, i thought it was best for me to keep the conversation at a minimum. 

We were going way over 60 miles and hour, i was not used to this type of speed in a car. I was impressed by Simon's control over the car, but he's obviously had his practice. 

"They're slowing, cars are inbetween us now" Simon's words calmed me instantly. But he did not slow his driving, obviously trying to create more space between us and the chasers.

"They've turned left, they're gone" Josh said and my body relaxed. I hadn't realised that i had been gripping onto the seat but my hands unclenched and i slumped into my seat.

We drove around for another 10 minutes at least. Silence had managed to fill the car again. It was only when we pulled outside my apartment that Simon began to speak.

"Zoe, i am so sorry that you had to be involved in that" Simon's voice was so genuine. I could feel the regret that he was feeling by being involved with me today, by dragging me into this.

"I was having a really good day before all this happened, if that helps" A smile escaped my lips and i saw Simon's eyes light up again, it was light the incident that had just taken place had never happened.

"Zoe. You have to know, i will never let anyone or anything hurt you." 

"I know that Simon" I do not know what influenced my action, but i leant over the car and kissed Simon on the cheek. I instantly began to blush and opened the car door to mask my embarrassment "Goodbye, Simon"

"Goodbye, Zoe" I shut the car door and walked to the door of my apartment. I glanced back at the car and gave Simon one more smile before he drove off.

I pulled by keys from my pocket and opened the front door.