0.8

Carter knew the team would have to leave soon, but he didn't expect Nick Fury to appear out of nowhere and have the guts to be at the dinner table of the Barton household. Carter sat at the table with Lila on his lap, she was coloring a picture of a butterfly at the moment. Nick was leaning against the kitchen sink holding onto a coffee mug, "Ultron took you folks out of play to buy himself time. My contacts all say he's building something. The amount of vibranium he made off with, I don't think it's just one thing." Carter watched Lila color in the lines as Natasha sat next to him, Lila excitedly showed her the drawing and Natasha cupped the little ones cheek. 

"What about Ultron himself?" Steve asked looking directly at the man who had vanished due to earlier incidents with Hydra. "He's easy to track. He's everywhere. The guy is multiplying faster than a Catholic rabbit. It still doesn't help us get an angle on any of his plans, though." Fury replied looking at Carter with a sly smile. He was the key to getting the witch on their side.

Carter met his gaze before asking, "Is he still going after nuclear launch codes?" Nick looked at the rest of the team, "Yes, he is. But he's not making any headway." Tony was playing darts with Clint in the corner, and he raised his eyebrows, "I cracked the Pentagon's fire wall in high school on a dare." 

"Well, I contacted our friend sat the Nexus about that." Nick poured some more coffee in his mug as he sat down at the table then.

"Nexus?" Steve asked not knowing what that branch was. "It's the world internet hub in Oslo. Every byte of data flows through there." Bruce made it simple, and Carter was thankful for Lila to help distract him.

"Fastest access on Earth." Nick nodded, "So, what did they say?" Natasha looked around at the team once more. "He's fixated on the missiles, but the codes are constantly being changed." 

"By whom?" Tony asked leaning against the wall with the dartboard. 

"Parties unknown." 

"Do we have an ally?" Carter asked impatiently, he wanted to know why Ultron was not getting access to the codes. Someone was helping them somehow, and he hoped they were working fast. "Ultron's got an enemy. That's not the same thing. Still, I'd pay folding money to know who it is." Nick let out a smile, it was the first time Carter had seen the man smile. Carter leaned on the table and scratched at his face, he felt the stubble starting to grow. He hadn't had his beard in a while so he figured he'd let it grow out. It made him look older, and look more experienced. 

"I might need to visit Oslo. Find our unknown." Tony locked eyes with Carter and he sighed. The boy was obviously still shaken as his eyes pooled with fear. Natasha broke the ice once more, "Well, this is good times, boss, but I was kind of hoping when I saw you, you'd have more than that." 

Nick looked at the fallen team and looked about damn ready to make one of his speeches, "I do. I have you. Back in the day, I had eyes everywhere. Ears, everywhere else. You kids had all the tech you could dream up. Here we all are, back on Earth,with nothing but our wit and our will to save the world. Ultron says the Avengers are the only thing between him and his mission and whether or not he admits it, his mission is global destruction. All this, laid in a grave. So stand. Out wit the platinum bastard." 

"Steve doesn't like that kind of talk." Natasha smiled a bit, looking towards Steve, who glared at her, "You know what, Romanoff?" 

"So, what does he want?" Carter muttered continuing to bounce Lila on his knee, "To become better. Better than us. He keeps building bodies." Tony spoke, before Carter noticed Bruce walk forward a bit, "Person bodies. The human form is inefficient. Biologically speaking, we're outmoded. But he keeps coming back to it."