Chapter 6

Lauren's POV

Annabelle was due to come round at 7:30 because we were going to walk to Daniel's house together as it was only just up the street.

The door bell rang at exactly 7:31 and, already dressed and made-up I walked downstairs and opened the door. I have to say, Annabelle cleans up well: she has her long, curly brown hair down and natural, her makeup looks quite natural too but she has done a pretty smokey eye and wearing a little black dress.

"Hey Annabelle, you look amazing!" I exclaimed.

She glanced down at the floor and looked uncomfortable, "Really? It's not too much? I have to admit I almost bailed on the party..."

"Well, you look great. Alex is going to be lost for words, he's gonna want to take you right there as you walk in!" I winked at her in a jokey way and linked arms with her, shouting to my mum that I'd be home by 1am.

On the way there Annabelle texted Alex, letting him know we would be at the party in about 5 minutes. Before we even turned the corner onto his road we could hear the loud, thumping bass. I feel sorry for his neighbours, he has parties all the time as well!

Daniel himself appeared at the door when we knocked (I have no idea how anyone heard it) and looked surprised to see me here, but invited us in anyway. Annabelle went off to find Alex almost straight away. So I was left with Daniel who gently placed his hand on my lower back which made me gasp a little.

"Do you want a drink?" Dan asked.

"Sure... Malibu and coke?"

He led me over to where the drinks table was and made me up my drink and grabbed a beer for himself. We started having a light conversation where we were , just talking about "the new kid, Alex" as everyone seems to call him. Although it didn't take long to move onto a "do you wanna dance?" from Daniel. He's changed, and it's just a dance. It's not like I'm signing a marriage contract or whatever. Should I dance? To dance... Or not to dance...? My internal battle with myself led Daniel to start looking a bit uncomfortable.

"Or we could just keep talking..." He trailed off awkwardly.

"You know what? A dance would be great." We made our way through a crowd of people to where others looked as if they were dancing (a.k.a rubbing against each other and grinding, yet they manage to keep their self-respect and dignity by calling it "dancing") well, I guess Dan and I would join in on the "dancing".

We danced for what seemed like ages. And it was. I checked my phone for the time whilst taking a break and slumping on the closest sofa, it was already 11pm! Daniel had gone off to chat with a few of his mates. Just as I was putting my phone away I was suddenly squished by a couple making-out!

"Do you fucking mind?! Jesus..." I managed to shove them off of me and stormed off to get another drink. I do not want to be someone's make-out seat.

All ready to sit down somewhere safe - and curious as to where Annabelle had gotten off to - I felt a a pair of fingers reach around me and cover my eyes.

"Aaghhhh! Again: do you fucking mind-" Turning round I saw who it was and felt instantly guilty for being so mean. "Oh... Dan... Hey. Sorry for sounding so bitchy, it's just, some couple sat on me and made out and I shouted at them and was creeped out and-"

"I know. I saw." His lips curled up into a smirk and slowly spread into a smile and then full-blown laughter.

"You might have found it funny but I am traumatised! I don't know if I will ever get over it!" I hit him on the arm and scowled, trying not to laugh, which is way harder than you might think.

"Well, let me know if that... Experience affects you long term, alright?" For a moment I thought he was being serious and then he started grinning again.

I glared at him about to shoot back a witty remark when my phone started ringing in my bra - don't judge me, I know you have kept it there too. Daniel grabbed it from my bra and answered it for me.

"Hellooo?... Well, depends who's calling... Ohhhh... Annie? As in Lauren's mu-" I grabbed the phone out of his hands and turned around. "Heyyy! I was having a lovely conversation with your mother!"

I glared at him for the millionth time that night.

"Lauren, sweetie, you need to come home right now. Please." She sounded like she had been crying for a long time.

"Mum? What's happened? Are you ok?"

"Just... Please, I need to tell you something."

"Ok. Mum, I'm leaving right now." I glanced at Daniel who had clearly been listening to my replies and he instantly looked sober. He was frowning slightly, looking worried.

"Dan, I've got to go. Something's happened and my mum needs me. I had a nice time. Can you tell Annabelle I had to go? She was meant to be coming home with me." And with that, I ran out of the house, as fast as I could in my heels.

As soon as I reached home, mum was standing there with the door open, old tears staining her face. I wrapped my arms around her waist, and she hugged me back.

But it was at that moment, I was facing our house whilst hugging my mum, when I heard footsteps coming down the stairs. At first, I saw 'man legs' and then the top half of him appeared and I swear I stopped breathing for a bit. My mum let go of me and turned to face inside too, with her arm slung across my shoulder.

I took a deep breath.

"Dad?"

:-:-: And it's another cliffhanger! But a very early upload!

Vote and comment leaving my advice and stuff if you want to!

Jules xoxo :-:-: