NOVEMBER, 3245

"Adeline? Where are you going? You know you don't have to sneak out the back window."

The girl spun around, perched on the edge of her window, a bag slung over her shoulder and a hood pulled over her head. "Out, with Noah. TK has us on mission. Besides, it adds to the 'teenage rebel' effect I'm trying."

The woman in the doorway pursed her lips, nodding slowly. "Okay, how long?" She questioned, a small smile dancing across her lips.

Adeline shrugged, her hand sliding the hood down from her face. "Three days as a minimum. If something goes wrong, TK expects a delay of a week. I've got supplies to last two, just in case."

Nodding in understanding, the woman gave the girl an encouraging smile. "Okay. Take care, I love you. Use your burner phone, and remember Kayden's number if you're in a pinch." She instructed.

She smiled back as well. "Love you mom. Stay safe." Turning back, she slid out the window, her toes brushing the ground as she landed silently. Her hand reached for her hood once more, as she made her way to their rendezvous point.

"Got everything?" She turned her head at the slightly familiar voice.

She flashed him a small smirk, her dark eyes dancing with an eager light. "Yes, Noah. Might I remind you that some of us have actual ideas. And more importantly, memory."

The boy she spoke to pushed off from the bench he sat upon. "You're so cruel, Ads. Really, I can remember things."

Rolling her eyes, she grabbed his elbow. "Regardless of your memory, we're on a schedule, and the fence only loses power for a few hours. So please, let's go?"

Nodding, he yanked his arm from her grasp as they continued down the barren and desolate street. "Cameras?"

"They don't really watch these neighborhoods." She reminded.

Noah let out a quiet breath as they trudged onwards, passing underneath broken streetlights and trashed buildings, the alleys and sidewalks filled with broken glass. "Nothing to see here, in our little neighborhood of rebels and protesters, just another dingy and depressing community in New California."

She smacked his arm as she reprimanded him. "Hey, the first rule of the rebellion is that we don't talk about the rebellion, remember, estúpido?" She hissed quietly in the dark.

He scoffed, muttering curses under his breath. "Hey, I'm Adeline Venice and I think I know so much because TK put me higher than Noah even though I'm only sixteen, blah blah blah." He mocked.

Sighing loudly, Adeline clenched her jaw shut as they sauntered ahead.

◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊

"Nathan!" Adeline called from her desk, shouting to Noah.

"Yeah, Reed?" He asked, sliding over on his chair.

She looked leaned forwards, ruffling through her drawers while Noah looked over her shoulder. "I need The Pen." Leaning back, she sighed. "Someone's been snatching my pens, and I have to go talk to Henry. Do you have one I could borrow?"

Noah nodded, rummaging through his briefcase for The Pen, a pen with the capability to create a shockwave to temporarily knock out communications for the NCG Officials. "Here. You can keep it, I have a dozen just like it back home."

Adeline took the pen, giving him a long glance, before straightening her skirt and blouse, her heels tapping down the hallway as she strided off. Noah returned to his computer, taking a few deep breaths before returning to his job, his left hand clutching a blade under the desk.