UNKNOWN DATE, 3246

Fear.

It was something some of us would never admit. Not to someone like Evan Harper, or some other government tool bag we'd encountered.

It was something I felt as I was tied up in darkness in a government facility with no idea of where I was, how long I had been here, and if my friends were okay.

I wasn't afraid of pain. I wasn't afraid of what they could do, and I wasn't afraid of dying. I was afraid of not knowing. I was afraid of the anticipation, and they harnessed that to their advantage.

When I finally heard the footsteps behind me, my shoulders tensed as I spoke.

"What do you want?" I hissed into the darkness.

The voice that answered was one I hadn't heard before. "Answers. And you're going to give them."

My mind flashed back to the things that prisoners underwent sometimes. All the banned history books my mother had. There was one that stood out right now, one that I could sense, and that was because of the board or table I was fixed to.

Water Torture.

"According to the Official Offenders Book, Section Four, Clause Six, 'A woman protesting may be delivered the appropriate punishment. A number of slaps on the wrist, determined by the district enforcer, and a physical mark on the offender's body.' All I've done is exercise my rights to protest, and what you're doing is illegal!" I called out, reciting the line that I had memorized.

"Stupid girls," the gruff voice muttered. "You broke into government property and vandalized government property. Besides, I'm sure a whore like you has heard of the NewCUBIC before," he said.

My breath caught in my throat. "Th-third Geneva Convention, article four. Rights to a POW." I blurted.

The man sighed. "Darling, there is no war, you're a rebel. You aren't a prisoner of war, and you don't have the rights."

"This is inhumane! I am a citizen of New California. I have the right to an attorney and cannot be held in any facility excluding a temporary prison until I have a fair and just trial." I cried out.

A calloused hand brushed against my neck and my muscles tensed. "Terrorism is illegal and bypasses the regular constitutions and rights that a citizen has." He answers simply.

I closed my eyes tightly, thinking, before one of his words stuck out. "I'm not a terrorist."

"In the eyes of the government, you are. I'd advise you shut your little mouth unless you're answering one of my questions now." The sound of a water bucket filling up filled the room as the man moved around, grabbing a few objects that she couldn't see or hear.

"I-I'm legally a minor, under eighteen." I tried to play the innocent kid card. "I'm a kid," I say breathlessly.

He walked back over to me, carrying the bucket of water. "Okay, kid. I'm gonna ask you some questions now." He snapped back. "How did you get into Seattle?"

My jaw clenched. I had gone through hell before, and I wasn't going to let TK down just yet. "Try me, asshole." I spat out.

The man let out a sigh, before placing something over my nose and mouth. A plastic sheet, it felt like. I took a deep breath in before I felt the water. I tried to hold my breath, but I knew it was futile. My body exhaled the breath I held, and naturally, tried to breathe in. The plastic was pressed against my nostrils, clamping them shut in a way so I couldn't breathe. My body fell into a state of panic, fighting for air, but my restraints forced me down. The act of panic used more of the oxygen left in my body, and I felt lightheaded. I couldn't take much more before falling unconscious.