Chapter 8: Ferris Wheels & Mustardy-Hotdogs

Comincia dall'inizio

Gabe then used his tokens to take a go at the ring toss. Apparently he was exemplary at it, and Mitch was intrigued. Gabe started to try and show him his secret technique and I was listening in, but I felt Bea tap on my arm.

"Val, can I talk to you?" She looked around nervously and tried to avoid eye contact.

"Yeah, of course! What's up?" I said in a sweet and sappy voice.

"In private," she added.

"No," I stated firmly with a smile still attached to my lips.

"Why no-"

"Hey guys, I have an idea! It's pretty dark outside now. We should go on the Ferris Wheel." I abandoned Bea and went over to the boys.

"Yeah that sounds like a pretty good idea," said Gabe. He put his arm around Bea and I felt my stomach start to churn again. She looked at me with an uncomfortable expression. We left the tent and headed for the Ferris Wheel. As we waited in line, I watched as the shimmering lights slowly went round and round and I could feel the chill of winter trying to poke its way into the world as the cold wind bit at my skin. I shivered a little and Mitch was suddenly by my side. "Do you want my jacket?" I looked up at his face, noticing a few stray freckles on his nose. This sweet gesture had me in awe of how kind he had been tonight.

"No it's oka-"

"Here, take it," he said loudly enough for Gabe to hear. He removed his jacket and wrapped it around my shoulders. I instantly felt warmer and I shared a soft smile with him. Instead of returning it, he drew in closer and his face got serious as he whispered, "I swear, if you get it dirty, I'll tell Jacob that you keyed his car." He then reopened the distance between us and I laughed and rolled my eyes at him. Just when I thought he genuinely cared about my well-being.

Finally, we got a spot on the ride and we sat down. Gabe and Bea sat on one side, and Mitch and I on the other. The ride started to move and I looked out at the lights growing smaller and smaller beneath us. It was quiet except for the sound of the rides and laughter. I looked across at Gabe and Bea cuddled close together. His arm rested around her and my heart sank a little bit as I felt a few tears start to well up in my eyes. I turned back to the view of our town. Beatrice and I had so many memories together, and I still couldn't believe the selfishness of what she was doing to me. Just as a silent tear started to fall, I felt Mitch reach for my hand and intertwine his fingers in mine. His hand was warm against my cold skin and I could read the comfort coming from his green eyes when I turned to face him. I tried to keep from smiling at the feeling of his hand holding onto mine. It was such an amazing thing for him to do this for me. Sure, i blackmailed him, but Mitch was trying to help me and that's what mattered.

I looked up, and sure enough, Gabe was staring. He was staring at our hands locked together. And let me tell you, I had never felt so accomplished in my life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As we got back to the bottom of the wheel, the guy operating the ride opened the door for us to exit. "How was the ride?" he asked.

"It was great," said Mitch as we stepped out of the ride together.

"I hope you didn't have too much fun," said the guy as he eyed our interlocked hands. He winked. Mitch and I quickly dropped our hands and he shoved them in his pockets as I crossed my arms. Mitch looked at the ground awkwardly and mumbled something about kettle corn as he headed off towards the food. I turned to see Gabe with his arm still around Bea. She looked at her phone and said she had to make a call. She walked away and left Gabe and I alone. Finally.