Chapter 6: Pitch Black

Start from the beginning

He dragged me down the road by our neighbor's cow pasture and started sniffing. At least there wouldn't be landmines all over the lawn. I grew sick of his constant tugging and unclipped him. The puppy raced around my legs for a moment before running off to smell a bush.

"Hurry up." I shoved my hands in my pockets to keep them warm. "It doesn't take this long to piss." I bounced up and down to keep the blood pumping.

Demon circled the area, making sure to smell every rock and blade of grass. If he didn't hurry it up, I was going to tie him to a tree and come back in twenty minutes.

Two bright lights came toward us. I closed my eyes as a car zipped past.

"Come on, Demon. You've had long enough." I looked down and saw nothing. "Demon? Oh no, Demon!" I had lost my mother's dog. "Demon, come here, boy." I searched along the fence. "Demon, where are you?"

A soft bark sounded from up ahead. I jogged over but couldn't see him anywhere. "Demon!"

He barked again. Dropping to my knees, I pushed back the long grass to reveal a small hole in the fence and just on the other side sat two beady, little eyes.

"Demon, come here." I reached through and tried to grab him.

He nipped at my fingers and stayed barely out of reach.

"Demon, now." I slammed my fist on the ground.

The stupid little dog turned tail and trotted off into the field.

"Get back here!" I sat on my heels. "This is just great." I rubbed my forehead, trying to think of how I was going to tell my mother I lost her dog.

I searched for a way over, but Demon had to choose the one field that had fences to keep the deer out. A large rock sat a few yards from me. I hurried to it and started to awkwardly climb over. I flipped to the other side and fell to the ground, landing straight on my back. Groaning, I rolled to my stomach and rose onto my hands and knees. I was going to kill that dog.

"Demon, where are you?" I coughed, rubbing my shoulder.

His collar jingled as he walked toward the middle of the field.

"Stupid mutt. You can forget me ever taking you for a walk again." Slowly standing, I jogged after him. "Demon, come here, now."

The little dog stopped and looked around.

"Now you listen," I sighed, kneeling down to grab him.

He darted away from me. I dove for him, but Demon escaped and ran off toward the fence.

"Demon!"

That was it. The mutt was on his own. I personally hoped a cow stepped on him. The ground started to rumble. I watched the herd run for the barn.

"Great." I stood and dusted myself off. "Now the Andersons are going to yell at me for scaring their cows. Demon—" I turned around and froze.

A giant animal stood there with its teeth bared. Its red fur stood on end as it let out a low growl.

"Oh my god." I backed away.

The mutant wolf jumped forward and knocked me to the ground. Swearing under my breath, I curled into a ball. This was it. I knew that it would be a canine that would finish me off. I closed my eyes when it probed me with its nose. It started to pace around me before stopping with its muzzle inches from my face. I could feel the heat of its breath on my skin. A soft whining silence the wolf's growl. I peeked over my shoulder to see the monster stepped to the side as another one appeared.