Chapter Twenty-Two: Prom?

Start from the beginning

"You have goosebumps," I stayed the obvious. He kept his eyes straight ahead at the road.

"It's cold in here." He told me. Such a lame excuse.

"We don't even have the air conditioner on," I made a "duh" face.

The weather was really nice for late April here in Virginia. I couldn't believe it was almost the end of the school year, either. This summer was going to be a good one, I could tell.

I let the subject of goosebumps go and leaned my head on his shoulder to pass the time. The radio continued to go in and out and eventually got on my nerves. As soon as I tuned it off, though, Cameron pulled into the beach parking lot. This wasn't Virginia beach. It was a smaller one that was much closer to our small town than Virginia beach was. We get more snow that the people that live near the big beach, this beach was called Mountain beach since there was a big hill beside it. Not a lot of people came here, it was kind of small and most people prefer Virginia beach. I knew a lot of kids my age came to this beach to hang out, but I never actually went.

I sat up and watched while Cameron slowly backed down closer to the shore line, the back end of the truck closer to the water. Of course, it wasn't that close, though.

He put the truck in park and sat there for a moment. He looked over at me and a smile formed on his lips, throwing my heart into overdrive.

"C'mon," he grabbed my hand and pulled me toward his door, helping me out onto the sand. I couldn't get the amazement off my face enough to stop smiling.

"Wanna go for a walk?" Cameron pulled me along beside him after I nodded my head.

"Wait," I unstrapped my sandals and tossed them onto the back of the truck so I could feel the sand between my toes, "I like to feel the sand on my feet." I explained to him quickly.

He gave me a warm smile and we started to walk down along the shore. The ocean water water was freezing cold and every time it touched my feet I jumped closer to Cameron since he was closer to the drier sand.

"Cold?" He asked in a playful tone, eyes bright with amusement. I nodded my head. He suddenly scooped me up in his arms bridle style and walked a little ways. I could feel my cheeks burning red from his sudden gesture. He chuckled and kissed my cheek.

Not much further down the beach, Cameron put me down and I walked along side him, his arm over my shoulder.

"Look," he gestured about ten feet in front of us. I squinted my eyes against the setting sun and we picked up our pace to get to the sticks I could see in the sand.

My breath caught in my throat once we got up to it and I'm sure the color drained from my face. I looked up at Cameron and he turned his head to meet my eyes.

In the sand, arranged in a bunch of tiny to huge sticks, was the word "Prom?". I smiled widely and threw my arms around Cameron's neck and wrapping my legs around his waist. I must've caught him off guard because we rumbled right to the ground, him landing on his butt and me on his lap. My face, once again, turned beet red.

"Yes, of course I will." I cupped his face in my hands as I said this. His smile grew wider, "mind if I have that ten second kiss now?" I nodded my head.

His lips connected with mine and he pulled me closer to him so that my feet were crossed around his torso. This kiss was toe-curling and heart fluttering a hundred times over.

"C'mon, the date's not over yet." I rolled off of him and he helped me up to my feet. We walked slowly back to the truck with mostly the waves as our background noise.