2. We were both kids

Start from the beginning

Jim nods and starts to look down at the folder laying on his desk.

Harvey takes me out of Jim's office and leads me to another, slightly larger office. A middle aged woman is sitting at desk.

"Sarge." Harvey calls.

The woman looks up and smiles at Harvey and tilts her head at me.

"Sarge this is my daughter Jessica, Jessica this is Sargent Sarah Essen." Harvey tells us.

I wave at Sargent Essen and she gives me a small smile in return. 

"I'm gonna go head out before Jim to check out the scene. Is it ok if Jessica stays in here while I'm gone?" Harvey asks Sargent Essen.

"Of course Bullock." She nods.

Harvey turns to me and sighs.

"I'll be back in a bit and then we can talk about where you're going to sleep for now until I clear out the spare room." Harvey tells me and then leaves the room.

I sit down across Sargent Essen and sigh.

"Wanna tell me what's going on honey?" She asks me.

"My mom died a few nights ago." I start. "The court says I have to stay here with Harvey because I'm sixteen."

Sargent Essen frowns and puts her hand on top of mine.

"Harvey's a good man Jessica, I promise you you're gonna enjoy living with him." She tells me hopefully. "If you don't mind me asking, how did you mother die?"

I don't know why but hearing her say those words felt like a knife being jabbed in my skull. Not because I didn't trust her, but because I haven't had to say it allowed before. My neighbors saw the gun shot and saw me crying. They explained it to the police and at court.

"She was m-murdered." My voice cracking as I say it.

I feel tears sting my eyes and flood the sides of my cheeks.

Sargent Essen hands me a tissue and continues for me to go on. I know this wasn't the answer she was expecting, but she's taking it rather well honestly.

"She was coming back from work and I was laying in my room waiting for her to come home so we could eat dinner." I continue softly. "I heard gunshot and when I went to the fire escape I saw her laying there with a man over her. I ran to her and the man only grinned and walked away. The police had to pull me away from her."

Sargent Essen comes over to my side and gives me a hug. I cry into her arms and just let it all out.

"It's ok Jessica, it's gonna be ok." She tells me.

See I wanna believe her, I really do. But it's not true.

Sargent Essen moves back to the other side of her desk and hands me a book.

"Why don't you read for a while and I'll message Ed to bring us some lunch?" She offers.

"Thanks." I sniff and nod my head.

Sargent Essen picks up her phone and calls the guy named Ed and asks him to bring up a personal pizza for us to share and two coffees.

Two minutes later there's a knock on the door and I walk over and open the door.

A tall scrawny man walks in holding out lunch. He had big round glass and has black hair. He's wearing a white lab coat. I offer him a smile and take the two coffees to it's easier for him to move.

"Thank you Ed." Sargent Essen tells him.

"Anytime Sarge," Ed nods before turning his attention towards me. "Ed Nigma, I don't believe we've met."

"Jessica Blair, I'm new in town." I explain and give him a small smile.

I'm pretty sure my eyes are still red and that I look like a train reck.

"Do you like riddles?" Ed asks suddenly.

Is this guy for real?

"Uh yea sure. I'm pretty good at solving them." I shrug.

Ed smiles really wide and nods his head in approval.

"I have a feeling we're going to get along quite well Miss. Blair." Ed says and leaves Sargent Essen's office.

"Don't mind Ed," Sargent Essen chuckles. "Man's a nut, smart nut, but a nut."

"Noted." I laugh and sit back down and take a slice of Pizza.

Sargent Essen seems nice. I can tell she's well respected around here by her office and the way everyone feels comfortable around her. Even Ed when she asked him to get us lunch. She takes a slice of pizza too and looks back down at her work.

After we finish our lunch I throw away the plate and the foam cups our coffee was in.

Suddenly there's a knock on the door as I go to stand by Sargent Essen to return the book.

The door opens and a police officer walks in with his head down. Sargent Essen looks at the guy before her eyes grow wide as he raises his head.

"What are you doing here?" She gasps.

What's with the ginger cop?