CHAPTER 6

"Family problems come in all shapes and sizes; some are short-lived and easily managed, while others are more chronic and difficult to handle." ~anonymous

"Mom?" I whispered at the person now standing in front of me. She had no expression unlike mine which were heavily filled with tears.

All she managed to do was sit in front of me. She didn't look at me neither did she talk. Do you miss me at all Mom?

"This is very important so listen closely. Please stop your crying immediately. I did not bring you here for you to simply shed tears." She said.

Heartless, I thought. She didn't miss me. What am I saying? She doesn't even love me. It has been such a long time since I saw her. Is there no meaning to our meeting?

"Mom?" Was all I managed to say again. She stared at me.

"Please no longer call me mom. You don't know me and I don't know you. I have bought you here to tell you something important." There was a hint of sadness in her eyes when she talked, but that was quickly covered up by her cold stare.

I couldn't stop my tears. How could I stop my tears.

"I think it's finally the right time to talk to you about your hair. When you let it down--"

"Wait! Before you speak, tell me, do you not find any meaning to us finally seeing each other? You told me you'd come right back when you left me in the streets. Did you know how long I waited? I was cold and hungry in the streets. I did not want to return to our house because I thought you would come. Did you find humor in leaving me like that?" I let out everything I've been holding in for the last ten years. "I want answers."

Yet, she still said nothing. She still had that same cold stare.

"It's dangerous. You're in danger. That's the most I can tell you now. Please, let me finish telling you what you need to know. Please listen. There's not much time left. You're in danger. She -- no, they -- know where you are." She seemed desperate to tell me.

"I don't want to hear it. So what if I'm in danger? What does that matter to you? You clearly don't care. Let me be in danger. I'm still alive in this world in hope of possibly seeing you again. Now that I have, what's the point in living?" I answered coldly.

"I'm sorry Emily. I can't give you answers now. I have to be cold. It's my job to keep you safe. I have to do whatever it takes." Her eyes softened.

The house suddenly started shaking. The ceiling seemed to be cracking as there were pieces falling from the ceiling.

"Oh no." My mother whispered. "It's too late now. Emily, stay here. I'll be right back."

Stay here, I'll be right back.
Those are the same words she said to me before leaving.

"I'm not a fool anymore to listen to those words, I've grown up."

"You must listen! You're putting yourself in more danger. If you stay inside, they won't be able to get to you. The house shaking is an illusion to get you outside. Please stay!" She begged.

"I'll face whoever is creating this illusion, I'll do anything but let me stay with you." My mom was now crying.

"Will I be able to protect you through this? You surely won't stay no matter how much I tell you to." She murmured and sighed. "Let's go."

I held her hand tightly and we walked out the door. From the outside, the house looked still, as if nothing was happening.

The moment we stepped outside, I saw at least fifty people dressed in black clothing. There faces were all covered, and the only thing visible were their eyes. They looked exactly like robbers. In front of them I saw Xena. She smiled at me. A smile that did not look friendly at all. I wonder why she was standing there.

"Hey Emily, it seems to me like you're still alive. I thought I had killed you from the gunshot yesterday. But he had saved you. Oh well, I still have the chance today." She stated.

Kill me? Why? I have never met her in my life before. All these unanswered questions made me feel a sense of dizziness. The people dressed in black slowly started to spread everywhere around us. They all formed something purple in their hands. It seemed like magic. I was surprised. How were they able to do that? Magic doesn't exist.

"They're only able to use that attack once. After they have used it, they have no more attacks left. When they have used it, please use this to escape." My mother said as she handed me a tiny white, ball? "Eat this when they have finished attacking."

"But wouldn't I be dead after they have attacked me?" I asked. She let out her first smile ever. Sadness filled her eyes and she turned away from me to look at the people who were currently coming together. They eyed me and put their hands up. It seemed as if they were about to shoot.

They attacked. I quickly closed my eyes, unwilling to experience this. Seconds passed, yet I felt nothing hit me. I slowly opened it to see a body beneath me. There beneath me was my mother lying on the ground with her eyes closed. There was a purple fog like substance surrounding her body. She sacrificed herself for me. I wasn't even able to deliver a proper goodbye. All I did was yell at her and demanded answers without listening to her.

I tried to touch her but my hand went right through her. She was a ghost. I couldn't believe it. I fell on the ground. My bun started to loosen. I didn't care. I hate myself.

Right then and there, my bun completely loosened and my long hair was exposed.