Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

"Thanks Mom."

The loud, high pitched ring of the doorbell rang out throughout the house and Carter jumped from his chair to get the door. He opened up the large wooden door to reveal Jayden, who smiled at Carter the moment that he saw him.

"Hey Jayden," he greeted, smiling at the boy, but his smile faded when he realised that as the man of the house he must do the interrogate-the-new-boyfriend routine.

"Hey Carter, is Lara here?" Jayden asked, peering around Carter in search of Lara.

Carter threw on his serious face and stood intimidatingly against the door, blocking his path and eye line into the house. "Now, son," he drew out the word like it was some sort of warning, and Jayden gave him a very confused look, "I am not trying to imply anything but I have been to prison, and I'm not afraid to go back."

"Uh, what?" Jayden asked with a very confused look."I've known you for years and I am quite sure that you are the last person to go to prison."

Carter ignored him, keeping his poker face and hardening his voice. "Do you want to see my guns? I have a huge collection, and my favourite one has a silencer. You know what a silencer is right?"

"What?" Jayden's eyes got impossibly wider in confusion with a hint of fear.

"You know, one day, you should come with us to our cabin in the remote part of the woods."

Carter was going to continue with his intimidating routine but suddenly he was pulled back by his shirt and when he turned his head he saw his mother, who was looking not too pleased with her son.

"Really Carter? Threatening Jayden? You've known him since he was a kid." She shook her head in fond amusement, "Silly boy." She gently slapped him on the back of the head.  

"I was just making sure that he knew that I have the ability to murder him if he was to break your daughter's heart," he told his mother with puppy dog eyes.

She shook her head, her son's look doing nothing. "If you tried to kill Jayden, you would probably end up killing yourself by mistake."

Jayden laughed, and Carter crossed his arms across his chest.

"Lara is in her room, have a good time, keep the door open," his mother said in a sweet voice to Jayden as she ushered him inside.

"Mom," Carter rolled his eyes exasperatedly, "this is my job as the man of the house."

"Yeah, yeah, come back to me when you hit puberty." She waved him off casually.

"Mom!" he laughed, and mock angrily stormed off towards his room. 

When he reached his room he decided that he should probably do some homework. He had been sitting at his desk, working on math for over an hour, and just as he was figuring out one of the harder equations, his sister burst into his room. He jumped as the wooden door opened unexpectedly and Lara appeared, a worried look on her young face.

"Carter?" Lara got his attention as she took a few steps into the room, and towards her brother.

"Yeah? What's up?"

She bit at her lip. "Uh, Jayden is upset about something and he won't talk to me, can you come talk to him?"

Carter furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. "What happened?"

She nervously tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "His Mom called him and when he got off the phone he just got really upset and stormed off."

"Where is he?" Carter asked, standing up from his desk chair.