Chapter 4: The Exam Begins!

It took me awhile to get the motivation to write this chapter, but I'm excited to begin! Another long chapter, enjoy! Leave some comments! The events might not follow correctly, but I'll try my best! (BFF/N)=Best Friend's name.

Disclaimer: I do not own Hunter X Hunter or any of it's characters.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"What did he slip into my pocket?" I slip my finger into my pocket, but I was met with a sharp pain. I whipped my injured digit in front of my face to see a drop of blood coming from a small cut on my index finger. I quickly pull off my backpack and rummage for a bandage. I end up finding one at the bottom of my bag, wrapping it around my finger quickly.

A strange ringing interrupts me from going back for the object in my pocket. I look over to see the examiner standing patiently with what reminded me of a shrunken head alarm. He turns it off, while simultaneously, the back wall of the chamber begins to open, revealing the path for the long run I have been dreading.

"I apologize for the wait. The entry period for Hunter applicants has ended. The Hunter Exam will now begin! A final caution. If you are short on luck or ability, you could very well end up seriously injured or even dead." I gulp. "I lack both of those in real life! Hopefully those abilities I gave myself actually work."

"Those who accept the risks, please follow me." Satotz turns around and begins his awkward walk. I look around for Gon and the others, hoping to stick with them during this phase.

"Hey (Y/N), I didn't notice you leaving us!" Gon looks up at me. "Look at his determined little face! How cute!" Satotz starts speeding up. We are now at jogging pace.

"Sorry about that, I thought I saw someone I knew!" I lied. I didn't want Gon to know I had a crush on someone like Hisoka. It would probably creep him out.

"You must follow me to phase two. This the exam's first phase. I cannot tell you where or when you must arrive. You need to follow me." Satotz declares.

"I see how it is." states Kurapika.

Gon continues, "This test is weird."

"I expect it's an endurance test. Fine by me. I'll be right behind you!" Leorio chimes in. 

"You guys have no idea..." The pace picked up to a full-on run. I was starting to get sweaty, so I took off my jacket and wrapped it around my waist. This was going to be the most boring part of the test. I began to get lost in my thoughts, keeping up my pace with Leorio and Kurapika...

Flashback...

"I'm going to backpack around Europe! I've got my tickets, and I'm leaving this summer!"

"That's amazing (BFF/N)!" I replied halfheartedly. 

"I'm gonna visit every country! I'm gonna go to Paris and London and so many other famous cities! I'm even going to go to the top of a volcano in Iceland!"

"That sounds like such an amazing adventure (BFF/N)! I wish I could go with you."

"All you have to do is save up some money (Y/N)!"

"If only it was that simple..."

"It is that simple! Stop holding yourself back from living your dreams!" (BFF/N) grabs my hands, giving them a light squeeze. The gesture was reassuring, but I was as stubborn as always.

"I'm not holding myself back! It's just that...that's your adventure. I need to come up with something myself."

"That's a load of crap and you know it (Y/N)."