13; confrontation

I LIKE DOING THINGS THE
HARD WAY

 ❝ I LIKE DOING THINGS THE HARD WAY  ❞

By the time they reached the gates and the cars began to idle, the sun had fully risen. It was hot – hotter than usual. She could tell because of the non-air conditioned car, and the perspiring bodies that stuck together in the back seat. The leather seats didn't help much, either.

Noah clung beside her, breathing in huffs while running a hand through his dampened hair. There was another man to her right with broad shoulders, leaving her less than ample space in the middle. Simon drove while Dwight occupied the passenger's side.

After their quarrel, Negan returned to his car without a word. He didn't ask for her to drive with him. Thankfully. With a burning chest, threatening both tears and words she would regret, she knew she needed a few hours away. Or else she'd strangle him, or curl up in tears – she wasn't sure, yet.

She was going to comment on the man stench but realized the only person she was friendly with was Noah, and shut her mouth. She was too apt to speak up when Negan was around. She'd forgotten her place when he wasn't there.

"Whelp, here we are." Simon twisted the key and flung open the door. Everybody piled out of the vehicle, heaving sighs of relief when they felt the cool wind brush against their skin. Winona shut her eyes, inhaled deeply, and brushed her hair up into a tight ponytail.

"Jesus Christ, I felt like I was suffocating in there," Noah commented. She nodded and slid her shirt off, now that he had the space to do it, leaving her in a thin black tank top.

Giggling, she motioned to his chest. "You look like you just took a shower."

"Far from it." His eyes roamed up and down her body. "Do you even sweat?"

"I am sweating," she said, wiping her glowing forehead, "see?" She held up the back of her hand. Noah threw his head back with a chuckle.

"Impressive."

Wiping his eyes, Noah jerked his brows. "Well, I better take a shower. Jodie's looking after Sara, so she's probably pretty eager to see me by now."

"Go," she teased, pushing his shoulder, "can't keep the princess waiting."

"Oh, believe me, I can't. She'll be on my ass if I'm not back by ten, which means I have twenty minutes to shower." Turning his back, he waved goodbye.

She waved even though he wasn't looking. With a large sigh, she closed her eyes, utterly fatigued. She was sure she looked entirely drawn.

She reached into the car and slung her old ragged bag over her shoulder. It was the one she used when she first went to the sanctuary, to try and raid the meds. It would also be what she left with, filled to the brim with largely with insulin, and the rest with whatever medicine she supposed their group would need.