Chapter 3: Summer Job

Start from the beginning

"Do you ever think Katy did it because Chris said something?"

I sat up. "Chris told Katy to do it?"

"I'm not sure. I overheard some people talking."

"He wouldn't, though." I felt my shoulders sag. "He knew how I felt about her."

"Hey, it's just something I heard. Don't let it mess with your head. It's probably not even true."

I heard muffled voices in the background. I swore one belonged to Chris.

"I have to go," said Jack. "Talk to you later, Aden."

"'kay," I said softly. "Bye."

The line went dead, and I rolled onto my stomach. I laid there and wallowed in self-pity for a moment. Turning to my side, I stared at my phone. Chris wouldn't do that. He'd never tell someone to break up with me. We had been friends since elementary school. He'd put me before some girl. At least, I hoped.

Shoving my face deeper into the mattress, I groaned.

The door opened.

"Aden?" My mother gave me a weird look. "What are you doing?"

"Nothing." I kept my face buried in the sheets.

"Well, at least you're not on the computer," she breathed. "Dinner's ready and your father just pulled into the driveway. So come and eat."

I dragged myself out of bed and shuffled after her. Reaching the bottom of the stairs, I barely stopped myself from falling over Demon as he raced by. I despised that dog.

My dad opened the door. "Hold up." He grabbed Demon before the puppy could escape.

"Thank you, Quint." My mother took the dog from him and stood up on her tiptoes.

My father leaned down and gave her a peck on the cheek. It was always a funny sight to see the six-foot-two Italian man next to a five-foot-nothing, fair skin, blue-eyed blond woman. They loved each other. Even though I didn't think their genes were compatible.

"How was your day?" my mother asked as she led the way into the kitchen.

"The regular," said my father as he took his seat at the head of the table.

I slipped into the chair by the wall and sunk down as low as possible without falling onto the floor.

"We fixed a few fences up by the ridge. Hunters must not be able to read No Trespassing. They keep cutting the wire."

"Well, hopefully, you'll catch whoever is doing it." She placed a roast on the table and took her seat.

"Looks great, Karen. Thank you." He gave his wife a smile before dishing his plate.

My mother put a napkin across her lap and glanced at me. "Aden."

I quickly sat up straight.

"I told you to change."

"Sorry, I forgot," I replied with a shrug.

She shook her head. "Did you figure out if you could get Aden a job?"

"Mom," I moaned, laying my head on the table. "I hate the woods."

"Aden." She nudged me with her foot under the table.

I sat up and let out a deep breath.

"It's either that or you can get one at a fast food place. You're not sitting around in your room any longer."

"I don't have a car," I muttered, while putting food on my plate.

My father cleared his throat. "I actually did find one." He sat up proud in his green forest ranger uniform. "They're looking for a campground tenant. You'll ride out with me a couple of times a week and clean up the grounds. Mostly pick up litter and make sure the toilet look decent."

"Dad," I whined. "That's disgusting. I'd rather flip burgers."

"It's a job, Aden," he said sternly. "It's part-time and ends when school starts back up. It'll be the perfect job for you. I don't see a problem."

"You might love the outdoors but I'm more of a city person," I replied. "Bugs and dirt aren't my thing."

"What is your thing?" said my mother, cutting up a piece of meat.

I shrugged. "I'm using the summer to figure it out."

"Doesn't matter. I already told my boss you'd do it." My father smiled.

My mouth dropped open. "You didn't even ask me."

"Work is work. It'll be a good character builder." He pointed his fork at me. "Sometimes we have to do things that we're not comfortable with and I think this is a great opportunity for you."

My parents exchanged approving nods.

"Why does everyone hate me?" I whispered, resting my head on my hand and poking at my food. "First Chris and now this."

"What happened with Chris?" asked my mother.

I mentally kicked myself for letting that slip out. This was a book club topic that would end in disaster. Mrs. Harper, Chris's mom, ran the whole thing, and I didn't think she'd want to hear about her son stealing my girlfriend. It wouldn't reflect well on the notorious Harper family's reputation.

"Nothing." I took a bite. "He got home early from their vacation and didn't bother calling me."

"I thought they were spending a month in Mexico?" said my father.

I shrugged. "He's the football team's all-star. The coach talked them into cutting their vacation short."

"He's a good player." My dad dished himself some more meat. "He'll get scouted for sure. James was telling me the other day that a couple colleges have already expressed interest."

"Yeah, he's amazing." I took a bite of potatoes. "When does this whole job thing start?"

"First thing tomorrow morning."

I wanted to crawl back into bed and sleep until school started again. Nothing was turning out right for me today.

My parents continued to talk about their day for the rest of dinner. I slipped away with a simple goodnight and went to my room. Demon came charging up the stairs behind me, but I slammed the door in the little rat's face before he could get inside.

"Aden," yelled my mother. "Don't be mean to him."

"I wasn't!"

I trudged over to the chest placed at the end of my bed and sat down. Drawing my knees in, I stared at my reflection in the mirror hanging on the closet door.

I had tried. In grade school, I kept up with my friends fairly well. But, five-foot-eight didn't scream basketball star. 147 pounds wasn't exactly football material, either. The best I could do was probably water-boy. Shifting my gaze to the floor, I felt a mixture of frustration and anger. My dad was a giant, so why did I get stuck with the scrawny white boy genes?

I laid my head on my knees and closed my eyes. If only I could be more like Chris, then life wouldn't be so damn difficult.