Chapter II

Yuri sat Natsuki down on the couch.

"Natsuki, tell me everything..."

"I... I don't know that I can, or that I should. I just... want to avoid talking about him."

"I want to help you, Nat... you mean everything to me, and I hate to see you like this. If you tell me what's wrong, and what he did, I hope I can help more..."

Natsuki sighed. "Okay, fine..."

She told her everything. "My father has been abusive ever since he started drinking. He used to be kind and happy, but when my mother died, he fell into a deep depression. He tried to drown his sorrows in alcohol, but only became angry and irritable. I was 9 when he first hit me. It was traumatic for me, and it only got worse from there. Eventually he was so drunk all the time that he couldn't prepare meals, so most nights there wasn't any dinner. I've always been small, but now, I'm dangerously underweight... usually I only eat a few cupcakes, which I rarely get the chance to bake since he would never allow it. He goes out on long trips, but he never explains where he's going or how long he'll be gone. Sometimes it's for a few hours... sometimes it's for a few days... sometimes it's even for weeks at a time. It hurts me... I know he has the capability of being a good person, I've seen him like it, but his life has been destroyed... and now he's destroying mine."

Natsuki begins to cry again. "Oh, Yuri... please help me..."

"Nat..." Yuri said, hugging her love tightly. "I will do everything in my power to help you..."

Yuri gets up as Natsuki continues to sit on the couch.

"Let me start by making you something to eat... you need it."

"Thank you, Yuri..." Natsuki says. Yuri goes into the kitchen.

"I can't believe I finally did it..." She thinks to herself. "I ran away... but what if he comes looking for me?" The thought of it makes her shudder. Would Yuri even be able to do anything? She said she'd protect her... but what can she really do?

Yuri comes back with a plate, on it two peanut-butter and jelly sandwiches. She sits down next to Natsuki, who immediately devours the one on top. It's gone in about a minute. Yuri sits, plate in hand, looking expectantly at Natsuki.

"Wait... are they both for me?"

"Yes, Nat... you need them..." Yuri says, a smile on her face. Natsuki eats the other one in the same amount of time as the first one.

"Yuri, you're so thoughtful..." Natsuki says, smiling for the first time since she got here. She gives Yuri a hug. "This is why I fell in love with you..."

"Why? Because of my peanut-butter and jelly sandwiches?" Yuri chuckles.

"Hehe... No... because you're always there for me. Every time I'm sad, every time I'm lonely, every time I need help, you're there to console me..."

"Nat... I'm glad you feel that way... You're the light of my life, you know that?"

"Of course, Yuri..."

Natsuki and Yuri cuddle on the couch for a while.

"Yuri...?"

"Yes?"

"Promise me... if my dad comes looking for me, will you keep me safe?"

"Yes... I would do anything for you."

"Thank you..."

Natsuki falls asleep in Yuri's arms. Yuri laughs lightly and lies down with her, falling asleep shortly after.