The box (Part Two)

"Get off!" You shrieked as you were lifted out of the box.

"Hey, put her down." The boy called and you wriggled free, running as fast as you could until you were stopped.

The boy could hear you panicking but there was a crowd around you trying to stop your running out of the huge doors, hearing you into the middle of the huge field. At one point, he pushed through but was tripped but he tried to get to you again.

"Hey just calm down ok?" He asked quietly and took your hand and you seemed to calm down enough for him to shoot the other boys a nasty enough look for them to back off a bit.

"Two at once." You heard someone say but you'd hidden your face in the boy's shoulder.

"Ones a girl... do we tell Alby?"

"Alby's on his way with Minho."

"She looks scared."

"You were scared to shank."

"Look I don't know what's going on but I won't leave you alone ok?" The boy whispered and you nodded, fingers tangled into the back of his shirt as he tucked you under his chin and took a protective stance with his arms wrapped around you.

*************************************************

"Hi I'm Chuck." A friendly looking boy declared as he bobbed up to the two of you.

No one had seen you since the bonfire, you'd freaked out again and hidden, Thomas had found you but after you gave an angry boy Gally a nasty bump on the head with a branch they'd left him to slowly coax you out of hiding.

"Hey Chuck." Thomas muttered when you refused to say anything.

"I know it's really scary coming up in the box, I was on my own." Chuck babbled and you frowned.

"On your own... but you're so little." You mumbled and Chuck grinned at having gotten you to talk.

"Oh I know but I'm pretty brave." He said smugly and you giggled.

After a while of chatting someone called out that dinner was ready so Chuck pottered off and left the two of you alone. Thomas glanced across at where the food was being served then at you.

"You hungry... want to come with me?" Thomas asked and you looked like you might agree until someone started shouting and Gally started fighting with one of the other boys which was quickly stopped by Alby.

*************************************************

"Hey Thomas how's um... (Y/N)?" Alby asked and Thomas nodded.

"Heard she had a chat with Chuck, big improvement from hitting us." Newt chuckled when he joined the two boys.

"Yeah, I think if Gally hadn't started then she'd have come and got dinner." Thomas admitted and Ably glanced over to where you were watching the curiously from the tree line.

"Tell you what Newt, go back with Thomas and try to get her to talk to you, see if we can't get her comfortable enough to come out to start with and I'll make sure Gally's off her case until she's alright with being around the rest of the Gladers." Alby slapped Newt's shoulder and sent the boys to retrieve the food.

When Thomas and Newt came to join, you they found Chuck had already settled himself into your make shift den. He was telling you about the beds in the homestead and you glanced at the building and nodded.

"Are you sure it's safe?" You asked the boy and Newt cleared his throat as Thomas set a bowl of food in front of you.

"Oh very much so, we have rules, we don't hurt other Gladers." Newt paused with his spoon halfway to his mouth. "Gladers are what we call ourselves."

"Will I have to sleep near him?" you asked and everyone followed your gaze to a rather grumpy Gally.

"No... I'm sure Minho wouldn't mind swapping hammocks so you could sleep next to Thomas." Newt suggested and you nodded.

****************************************************

"You know you're lucky, Minho really likes his new hammock." Chuck muttered as he tied the new bed and refused your help.

"Which one is Minho?" You asked and Thomas pointed him out, waving when the boy gave a short wave at the three of you.

Eventually everyone headed to bed, you even thanked Minho for letting you swap beds, he promised it was nothing while grinning happily as you nervously answered the few questions he asked about how you were enjoying the Glade.

Once everyone settled you climbed into bed and tried to sleep, several of the boys snored, not that you minded it was warmer in the homestead than in your hiding place and much more comfortable but you couldn't sleep.

"We're ok." Thomas whispered as his hand reached out for yours and he smiled at you from his hammock. You fell asleep with his hand clutched in your and the soft snores of the Gladers comforting you to sleep.