Chapter 32: The Anchor and the Signal Fire

Start from the beginning

"Hey! We talked about not mentioning–"

"Yes, I broke down last night," I cut Erasmus from defending me. "And it was embarrassing and definitely not the prettiest moment of my life. But I was hurt badly and I thought that the pirates were gentlemen enough not to make fun of a crying woman. But I guess you also do that to your mother, wife, and sister when they're in the lowest moment of their lives..."

"Hey! We are not like that!" They started protesting and I knew that I just won a battle when they started giving looks to one another.

"Then prove it to me and help me catch more fish!" I said accusingly and followed Erasmus as he led us to the canoes that were waiting for us.

They started piling on the four boats and I sat in the middle of one of the canoes waiting for Erasmus to join me. But just as he was about to get on the canoe, The Skull and Alon – who was bringing a big mug of a hot chocolate, appeared at the edge of the deck and the pirates who were already settled on their boats looked at them with confusion.

"Skull? Are you going to...?" The words faded from Erasmus' mouth as he realized what was about to happen. Uncertainty also crossed the faces of the other pirates who were joining us. It looked like the rainbow they were looking at was suddenly covered by a dark, heavy cloud.

We didn't hear an answer from neither Alon nor the Skull. Instead, the Skull grabbed the mug from Alon and when he got on the canoe I was in, he gave it to me. I received it silently as I watched Alon and Erasmus get on the other boat.

The four boats sailed silently away from the Pirate City to an islet from the distance. As we tailed behind them, I sipped on my drink and wondered where the excitement and fun had gone? My back was turned to the man who was paddling silently behind me and I couldn't help but think that it might be an extension of the moment we shared the other night. Well, a woman can daydream, right?

"Aren't you needed in the Pirate City? From what I've learned, you seemed to be of great importance in this place." I broke the silence between us and when he didn't answer right away, I started regretting it. He seemed to be open with a conversation with me the other night – maybe I had gotten too comfortable with him that I needed to be reminded that it was the Skull I was talking with.

"And risk you being drowned? I'll pass," he answered in his low, deep voice. I almost looked back and stare at him but a good thing--I was able to control myself.

"You know that the girl you met years ago had grown up already and could take care of herself, right? You probably see me as a weakling who would cry at tiny scratches on my skin but believe me, I am more than that," I said.

He became silent again and I wondered what he was thinking this time. I wanted to see his face, his eyes whether they look at me. With a sigh, I turned my head around and caught him staring at the back of my head. He immediately averted his eyes and focused on paddling the canoe. Would I allow this evil man to steal glances at me? And with that, a wicked idea struck my mind. Pushing my fear back, I got to my feet and turned my body so I can face him. I sat comfortably as I turned my back from the canoes ahead of us. This way, I didn't have to wonder about his face while staring at me.