Chapter 32: The Anchor and the Signal Fire

Start from the beginning

And even though he told me to hate him, my heart seemed to choose the opposite way. I didn't know that my heart could be this rebellious – or maybe it had been a rebel from the start. I closed my eyes and leaned completely against him. "I hate you," I murmured. And I thought I felt him smiling as he kissed my head again for the second time that day.

I would have given everything just to stay at this moment forever but the voices below us and the loud calling of Erasmus pulled us back to the chaotic reality we were in. He grumbled softly as I moved away from him.

"Well, I guess this is where the dream ends." I sat up straight and combed my fingers on my hair. I watched him as he stood and looked down below us.

"We'll go fishing. They said that there's a great place to fish near the Pirate City. Maybe Primrose would like to join us," Erasmus said nervously when he was confronted by the Skull's dangerous glare.

The Skull glanced at me and then returned to Erasmus disapprovingly. "I don't think she can join you. She doesn't know how to swim," he said in a serious tone that no one would probably dare to oppose.

"Ah, right!" Erasmus seemed to be disappointed. "I apologize for disturbing you. We'll go now."

I immediately got to my feet and the Skull looked at me frowning and confused. I decided to ignore him as I grabbed the railing and looked down at the pirates below us.

"Wait! I'll join you!" I called loudly.

They all looked at me uneasily. They were cautious of the man beside me who was eyeing them dangerously. I had never gone fishing in my whole life and it would be a great chance to do that. I glanced at the Skull who seemed to completely disapprove of the activity.

"I prefer it if you just stay inside your cabin," he demanded. The coldness that awakened in his grey eyes told me that the sleeping angel I was with minutes ago was already gone. It was now the devil I was dealing with.

If I was another person or a pirate below his rank, I would have followed his order like a stupid warrior to his general. But we were in the pirate world where things could kill or build you. I realized that I had been living in here for a long time now to know when to take the risk.

I smiled at him reassuringly and said, "Come on! You know I've always wanted to try this if only Chester was not being a jerk about..." I stopped on my sentence before I cross the line to a place he didn't want to go back. If it was possible, his eyes became colder and he looked more strict and somber this time. "Well, I will still join them fishing and not even the Pirate King or the captain of the most powerful ship can stop me," I said nonchalantly and started climbing down the rope ladder.

I surprised myself at how I easily climbed down from the crow's nest. The pirates, six of them including Erasmus, watched me as I made my way to their direction, a proud smile plastered on my face.

"You're f*cking lying about last night, are you?" I heard a pirate whisper to his comrade. So rumors and gossips did exist in the pirate world. I looked at them sternly and crossed my arms over my chest.