The Future of Earth

Jennifer Mills never could have dreamed that she would, one day, be travelling through space with an alien. But here she was; in the TARDIS, with the Doctor.

Despite having been inside the TARDIS once before, it was only now that she had a proper look. Just inside the door was a coat-stand, which the Doctor never seemed to use, preferring to place his coat on one of the columns holding up the console room. The Console itself was round and in the center was the time rotor, as the Doctor called it, which moved up and down during flight, both emitted a green glow. The columns looked like coral, as did most of the TARDIS. The walls were of a similar texture, made up of several separate panels, each of which had four hexagonal roundels to provide extra lighting. Beneath the console, there were several storage holes and hundreds of wires which led down to the heart of the TARDIS, according to the Doctor.

She found the TARDIS very intriguing, and was keen to explore the rest of the TARDIS. Down the central corridor, she found that each of the following corridors had many different paths to take. This made Jennifer wonder if the TARDIS was almost never-ending.

Despite the fact that she had been inside the TARDIS for several hours, she hadn't been on her single trip. Once she had boarded the TARDIS, the Doctor flew the TARDIS into the time vortex, which he had explained to be the thing that connects all points in time. However he couldn't decide which time to take her to see, and kept changing his mind. Eventually, this decreased the power and meant that it couldn't travel through time until the power had increased significantly.

He had managed to land the TARDIS, and was now underneath the console trying to reroute some of the remaining power. She was starting to become irate, and fed up of waiting. She asked, "Doctor?! What is taking you so long?"

"Oh right yes. Sorry. I got a bit distracted. I was trying to fix the chameleon circuit."

"Which is?"

"The thing that allows the TARDIS to blend in, the disguise."

"How much longer will it take to regain full power?" 

"Oh, the power reached maximum two hours ago," he said, quickly returning to 'fixing' the TARDIS.

"Two hours. Two hours!" She shouted angrily, "We could have gone two hours ago?!"

"Have you finished shouting?" He asked.

"Oh alright."

"Good. Lets go then."

The Doctor climbed out from underneath the console, and placed the panels of flooring he had removed to be able to get below, back into position. Getting up, he ran around the console, pulling certain levers and pressing certain buttons. The TARDIS began to dematerialise, and the time rotor started to move up and down. "Here we go," he said.

"Again," added Jennifer.

"Where do you want to go then?"

"The Future, possibly."

"The Future, possibly it is then."

"Near future or Far future."

"Well I don't want to go and see next year," she said, thinking. "So how about several hundred years?"

"Several hundred years."

He quickly activated the navigational system, before activating the materialisation sequence. The Doctor then began to use something that looked like a bicycle pump, called the Helmic regulator, to ensure that he accurately landed in the correct time. Soon thereafter, the TARDIS came to a halt. The Doctor said, "Right, here we are. Several hundred years in your future, and we're on Earth."