11. I should have known

Kaiden broke the kiss with a last nip on Seb's lower lip. Seb was all heavy breath and thumping heart; not yet ready to let go of the sensation. He wanted to dive into Kaiden's lips again, but he didn't dare.

"Come on, cutie, let's go eat something. That stomach of yours is growling at me," Kaiden breathed against his ear. Seb was still trying to come back from cloud nine, and had to process the words for a few seconds before nodding.

Kaiden only chuckled and proceeded to steer him away from their spot behind the corner. "I have a favorite place around these parts. I've been wanting to take you there for a while," Kaiden said, and Seb gulped. For a while? he thought. It wasn't the first time Kaiden implied that he'd thought about Seb before they met at the café. It was strange, and he didn't really understand. He wondered where Kaiden would have seen him, because he was sure he would have noticed Kaiden.

Despite Seb's lack of reply, Kaiden led him to a small diner two blocks away. It wasn't big, rather it was small. But the atmosphere was cozy and Seb felt at home right away. Kaiden seemed to know the staff, so he just waved, smiled, snatched two menues, and showed Seb to a small table at the back.

"So, how did you like the movie?" Kaiden asked. Seb wanted to slap his own face. Why couldn't he start the conversation for  once? he berated himself. Kaiden arched an eyebrow, but quickly brought it back down again. However, the gesture was enough for Seb to realize that he was acting weird. The mortification was absolute. Why couldn't he act  normal?

"I liked it," he croaked. Kaiden gave him a loop-sided grin in response to the short reply.

"You know, I'm nervous too," Kaiden said.

"What?" Seb exclaimed. Kaiden didn't look nervous, he didn't sound nervous. He couldn't be nervous. It was probably just something he said to make Seb feel better.

Kaiden chuckled. "Of course I'm nervous. I finally had the guts to ask you out, but that doesn't mean that I'm not afraid to make a mess out of this," he replied.

"But...but that doesn't make sense!" Seb replied.

"What doesn't make sense?"

"Why would you be nervous?"

"Why wouldn't I be nervous?"

Seb wanted to groan in frustration, but he didn't dare showing that kind of emotion just yet. He didn't know what to reply this time. He thought it was so obvious, but at the same time it was hard to voice it. He was just a shy guy with very few friends. He had nothing to offer.

Kaiden waited patiently for him to answer, but luckily the waiter came forward and asked if they were ready to order.

Seb could see Kaiden wince a little at the sound of the waiter's voice. Seb looked from Kaiden to the waiter, and became even more confused. The guy seemed to be their age, and wore an unpleasant smirk on his face.

"Why don't you call David and ask him to come here while you're at it," Kaiden spat.

"Always so hostile, Kay," the guy replied, but the smirk remained on his lips.

"That's because you're an ass, Lucas. You and David both. You the only waiter here tonight?" Kaiden asked.

"Looks like it," Lucas said, and flashed a row of too perfect teeth.

Kaiden turned to Seb. "Let's go! We'll find another place."

Seb rushed out of his seat and followed Kaiden out into the late evening again. He caught up with Kaiden when they were outside.

"Hey, what was that about?" he asked, worried that something was wrong. Kaiden seemed reluctant to tell him; fidgeting with his jacket, looking away.

"Kaiden," he said again, trying to get his attention. "You don't have to tell me, but you can, okay?"

Kaiden looked at him, took a deep breath, and hugged him close. "Lucas used to be my best friend, but he ditched me when he found out I was gay."

Seb wrapped his arms around Kaiden and hugged him tight. "That was really shitty of him!"

Kaiden laughed softly. "Thank's Seb. You're even cute when you curse," he replied and placed a soft kiss on Seb's forehead. "You put a smile on my face, Seb. Every time I see you."

Seb felt a bit awkward again. He didn't like how the spotlight turned to him again. He was much more comfortable talking about Kaiden. However, he realized this was a perfect opportunity to ask where Kaiden had seen him.

"Kaiden, in a way this feels weird to say, but I have to ask. Where have you seen me? I'm sure I would have noticed you in a crowd."

"You sure?" Kaiden replied, grinning mischievously.

Seb didn't know what to reply. It was looking bad right now. If Kaiden actually went to the same school, he had just made a fool out of himself. He squirmed in Kaiden's arms.

"Hey, don't worry about it, cutie. I know you haven't seen me in school. We hang out with completely different crowds, and it's a big school."

"But you're there?" Seb asked, wanting it confirmed for sure.

"Yes, but we don't have any classes together, which is a bummer!"

"I'm so sorry, I...I should have known."

"Don't worry about it. It's not a big deal. But can you understand that I was nervous. You never noticed me, even if I stared at you so much that my friends noticed."

Seb couldn't help the smile that spread across his face. It widened when he saw Kaiden's face flush a little. He caught Kaiden's lips, suddenly a great deal braver. Kaiden's lips was just as wonderful as before, soft and moist against his own.

"We should really go and get something to eat," Kaiden whispered, their lips still touching. Just then Seb's stomach made a loud noise, and they both started laughing; letting go of a lot of pent-up tension. After that it felt considerably easier to breathe.