prologue.

"Aloysius! You're gonna be late!" My mom's screeching voice resonating throughout the whole house.

"I'm coming!" I rolled my eyes and dashed out my room. The air smelled of bacons and eggs. Smells like the usual morning.

The twin assholes aka my older brothers sat at the table, laughing hysterically at something. Their tall frames shaking with happiness and icy blue eyes welling up with tears from laughing.

"Here comes our baby Alloy!" Jordan cooed at the sight of me walking towards mom. "Baby, give big bro a lil kiss, won't you?" Jaye mocked, standing up and ruffling my already messy hair.

"Stop it, boys. Alloy is a big boy now." My mom said as I kissed her cheek. "You're not gonna have breakfast?" She asked, looking at my messy wet hair.

"Yeah, I'm gonna be late. I gotta go, my ride's here." I jogged towards the door as I hear a honk outside my suburban home.

"Faster, Hayes!" Landon yelled as he honked even more. Everyone at school calls me by my last name. It's just my family who calls me like I'm some metal that was made by combining two or more metallic elements.

I climbed into the Chevy Sonic 2013 that's owned by the driver which is Landon, the blonde-haired surfer type of guy with that all-year tan as if he goes to the beach everyday. And there seated in the passenger seat is Sloan, the straight-A student who's headed to Harvard the next school year. On the very right in the backseat is Trevor, the same typical surfer guy but with brown eyes and brown hair. Beside me would be Sunny, our cheerful Korean optimist and exactly is the sunshine of our group. And I, Aloysius Hayes, is the brown-haired lanky kid who only talks to five people namely Landon, Sloan, Sunny, Trevor and Mr. Johnson who is my journalism mentor. We are your normal group of friends and we are absolutely not the "cool" kids.

"What're we gonna do for your birthday, Hayes?" Sunny, interrupting my train of thoughts, asked. "I don't have anything in mind, really." I shrugged. It was true. I loathed celebrating my birthday. It reminded me of horrible memories.

"We could go to the beach." Landon suggested while taking a left turn towards our school's block. "And stay in Sunny's beach house for the weekend." Trevor chimed in. "Sure, I could tell my dad." Sunny approved with a toothy grin. "Whatever you want guys." I answered with nonchalance, trying my best to end the topic of my birthday.

"We're here." Sloan chirped. She turned around and gave me an apologetic look as the rest of the gang got out of the vehicle.

"It's okay." I mouthed to Sloan and she returned the weak smile I had on my face. "Let's go." She breathed out and bent her neck to the side, signaling us to get out.

We walked to the school's doors like any other school day it was. I was just zoning out and thinking about my birthday when I bumped into a girl who had caramel hair and chocolatey eyes. She was much shorter than me and she had a short yellow sundress on. It was my first time to see her in school. Our campus didn't have that many students. Everyone basically knew everyone. She was new for sure.

"I'm so sorry." I mumbled as I offered a hand to help her get up. She stared at me with pure disbelief then rolled her eyes at the hand I offered. "Watch where you're going, dummy." She spat with nothing but venom.

She got up on her own and sashayed away from his sight. She was pretty, I admit it but she didn't need to be mean since what I did was obviously unintentional. I huffed and walked to my locker. I got some books I needed for the day and proceeded to my algebra class.