Ch 5 - Cats and Calling Cards

~~ April 22, Afternoon ~~

The following day was another typical day at school. Well, until afternoon classes.

While listening to the dry lesson Mr. Ushimaru was teaching, you glanced over at the boy who sat to your left, Daichi Yagi, rolling your eyes as you noticed he fell asleep. Again. The slight snoring was loud enough for you to hear, but not enough to disrupt your teacher's musings. Your gaze wandered to the raven-haired boy that sat in front of him, wondering if the snoring bothered Akira like it did you.

And that's when something else caught your eye: the irritated tail twitches of a cat. You blinked as you processed the fact that this white-tipped black cat tail was in Akira's desk. Wondering briefly how you didn't notice sooner, you then realized that given the angle at which you sat behind him, you were probably the only person that could see the cat hidden in his desk to begin with.

Well, that solved the mystery of the cat in the school.

But that question was quickly replaced by many more as you turned your gaze back to the chalkboard. Cats aren't allowed and with all the fuss the teachers had over it, he's bold to continue bringing the cat with him. But how has he been able to get away with it for so long already? Maybe it's one of those comfort or rehabilitation animals with how well behaved it is... But he doesn't seem like the kind of person who needs one...

You shook your head slightly as you tried to copy down what was being written on the board while your thoughts ran away with you. [Y/N], you don't know him well enough yet. Maybe a companion animal is a part of his probation and behavior adjustment? That could be why the teachers have stopped looking for it.

Glancing back over at Akira's desk, you noted the rich blue eyes that peered out of the desk in Daichi's direction as the tail continued to twitch in an annoyed pattern. Knowing cats had better hearing than humans, you could have sworn the cat's eyes held the same annoyance for the snoring as you did. With this in mind, you looked down at your paper in a moment of consideration to do something bold yourself.

Looking back up at the teacher, you waited for his back to be turned before you quickly reached over and poked Daichi's arm with the eraser-end of your pencil. As expected, the boy jolted awake and you resumed your normal position before he realized what happened. Out of the corner of your eye you noticed the cat's tail calm and the blue eyes seemed to be staring in your direction as you heard a quiet purr.

You also heard the frantic scribbling of a pencil on paper from your left and you couldn't help but smile in amusement. Maybe with so much to catch up on, Daichi wouldn't fall back asleep today.

~~ Time skip: April 23, Morning ~~

In waking up late and rushing to school, you had barely settled into your seat when the bell rung. As Mr. Inui, the history teacher, started his lesson, you quickly flipped your notebook open and began writing down what he was saying.

"Kamoshida-kun was really in his element at the volleyball rally the other day." The older gentleman stood still at the front of the classroom with his arms across his chest and looked over the class as he spoke. "You kids are lucky to receive direct instruction from a world-famous athlete like him." He paused for a second as he gestured a hand to the side. "Sports have been regarded as sacred things that invigorate people since ancient times. So much so that the emperor himself even participated once."

The teacher's gaze then focused on Yuuki. "Mishima-kun. Do you know the name of the Roman emperor who participated in the Olympics?"

"Huh!?" The volleyball player hastily stood. "U-Um..." He turned his head away from the teacher and as such, you couldn't see his face at all from your perspective. After a short span of silence, you weren't sure if he was still thinking or ashamed he couldn't answer.