six

When George and I returned to the flat later that day, I sent the three-year-old off to his room to play. Meanwhile, I sat on the kitchen counter with my phone in my hands, trying to build up enough courage to call Harry. 

After arguing with myself for about ten minutes at least, I called him. I pressed the phone to my ear and waited anxiously for him to pick up. Which he eventually did. 

"Hey," he said. 

"Hi," I replied. "Listen. I need to talk to you - about George," 

"You've already told me, Rose. You don't want me to be in his life, I get it," 

"No, Harry, please let me finish," I said. When he didn't speak, I continued. "After you called, I sat down and had a chat with George. About you. Or, well, his father. Because after all, it should be his decision whether he wants to get to know you or not, Harry, and he wants to know you. He knows he's your son. He overheard us," 

"And you're okay with that?" he asked quietly. 

"If it makes my son happy, then I'm okay with it," I replied. "Harry, all I want is for George to be happy, so please promise you will make a proper effort, alright? It would break my heart if this goes badly," 

"I promise," he said. "I'm gonna do everything I can to be the best father I can be," 

I smiled slightly to myself.

"When can I see him?" 

"My sister's watching him tomorrow while I'm at work, but how about after that? I get off at three o'clock," I answered. 

"Okay, sounds good," he said. "And you're sure George really wants to know me?" 

"Yes, but I'll tell you more about our conversation later. There's something more you should know as well," I said, and Harry muttered an 'okay'. "We'll talk later, alright? I need to make dinner for George," 

"Okay, bye," 

"Bye," 

The next day, at three o'clock, I left work - cashier at a clothing store- and headed to Clara's house. There, I was immediately met by George hugging me as soon as I opened the door. 

"Are we gonna see my dad now?" he asked as Clara was helping him with his shoes. I gave him a small smile and a nod, while my sister gave me the 'good-luck'-look. 

"I mean, it shouldn't be that bad of a thing that Harry's entering George's life, is it? You'll have an extra babysitter, for example," said Clara jokingly. "Come on, you have to admit it, it's quite hard studying to become a teacher with a three-year-old running around," 

"I know, it's just gonna take some time getting used to it," I replied. "Harry will probably want him to spend time at his house, too, and then it's gonna be quiet," 

"Then I'll come over and keep you company!" she exclaimed. "But seriously, though. I think it's good for both you and George," 

"Yeah, I suppose so," I said, letting out a sigh. "Well, I guess we better get going, then. You ready, George?" 

"Yes, Mummy," the little boy replied, putting on his hat and then reaching out for my hand. "Bye, aunt Clara!" 

"Bye, Georgie!" she replied, smiling brightly at him. 

"Thanks for looking after him," I said to her. "Bye," 

"No problem, and bye," she said. George and I gave her a wave before we began walking down the street. 

"Are you excited to meet your dad?" I asked my son, who nodded as an answer. 

"Will he like me, Mummy?" he asked. 

"Of course he'll like you, sweetheart," I replied. "He's very excited to meet you," 

"Really?" he said, his face now lit up. I nodded, smiling.

Eventually, we arrived at the park, the same one we were supposed to meet Harry the last time. I spotted him immediately. He was sitting on a bench, the only bench that wasn't covered in snow. 

"Is that him, Mummy?" asked George. 

"Yes, that's him," I replied. 

Harry looked up from his phone and saw us approaching him. He stood up from the bench and slowly walked towards us, keeping his eyes locked on George, who was slightly hiding behind my leg.

"Hi," said Harry, now looking at me. 

"Hi," I replied, picking up George and holding him on my hip so he could see his father properly. He was shy, a lot more than usual.

"Hello, George," Harry smiled at his son, looking into the eyes identical to his own. 

"Hi," replied George, smiling back. "Are you really my dad?" 

Harry took a quick look over at me before answering, "Yes, I am," 

"Mummy, down," said George, and I set him down on the ground. He then looked up at Harry and asked, "Will you play with me?" 

"Of course," replied Harry. The three year old grabbed his hand and dragged his father with him to the playground, which was pretty much snowed down. 

I followed behind them, watching as the two of them started making a snowman. I couldn't help but smile, noticing how quickly George warmed up to Harry, like he'd known him his whole life. 

--------

hope you like this :)